Skybuck's Dream PC for 2006 Full Report, Posting 1

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Skybuck Flying, May 5, 2006.

  1. *** Skybuck's Dream PC for 2006 *** FULL REPORT *** Posting 1 ***

    Hello,

    I plan on writing a full report on Skybuck's Dream PC for 2006.

    However it will be to big to put into one posting and it will require some
    time as well.

    So I am just gonna post as I go along and finally I'll gather everything or
    so and put it on a website or maybe not, we'll see.

    The first question on my mind is:

    What did I buy and how much did it cost me ?

    *** BEGIN OF SECTION 1 *** The component list ***:

    ( All prices in euro's, tax included )

    LCD Monitor: Hewlett Packard L2335 (native resolution: 1920x1200, response
    time: 16 ms, wide screen)
    Price: 1029

    Case: Chieftec, Bravo series, BH-01B-B-SL miditower
    (silver/black/stylish/modern) (6 harddisk bays, 3 cd rom bays, 1 disk drive
    bay)
    Price: 75

    Power supply: Seasonic S12-600 (600 watt, power efficient, low noise)
    Price: 129

    Motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (passive cooling, low noise, 64 bit
    ready, good connectivity)
    Price: 191

    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Manchester 3800+ (Boxed) (dual core, power
    efficient, suited for running games at 1900x1200 resolution)
    Price: 305

    Memory module1: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz
    (Double Side, Double Data Rate, Supported by motherboard)
    Price: 105

    Memory module2: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz
    (Double Side, Double Data Rate, Supported by motherboard)
    Price: 105

    Memory module3: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz
    (Double Side, Double Data Rate, Supported by motherboard)
    Price: 105

    Memory module4: Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz
    (Double Side, Double Data Rate, Supported by motherboard)
    Price: 105

    Graphics card1: XFX NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX Extreme (512 MB GDDR3) (Occupies
    two slots (dual slot), Standard version (non overclocked, for longer life
    ;)) 2DVI/VI, PCI Express x16, Very powerfull )
    Price: 585

    Graphics card2: XFX NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX Extreme (512 MB GDDR3) (Occupies
    two slots (dual slot), Standard version (non overclocked, for longer life
    ;)) 2DVI/VI, PCI Express x16, Very powerfull )
    Price: 589

    Sound card: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 (comes with nice
    breakout box and headphone connection, remote control etc)
    Price: 284

    (Note: The soundblaster needs floppy drive power connector)

    Network card: not needed, the motherboard has two very fast gigabit network
    chips on board ;)
    Price: -

    Internal Harddisk1: Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360)
    Price: 348

    Internal Harddisk2: Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360)
    Price: 348

    Internal Harddisk3: Third sata harddisk possible (Free space in miditower
    available, third sata connector on motherboard available, power supply sata
    power connector available, extra sata cable available came with motherboard)
    Price: -

    Internal Harddisk4: Fourth sata harddisk possible (Free space in miditower
    available, fourth sata connector on motherboard available, power supply sata
    power connector available, extra sata cable available came with motherboard)
    Price: -

    Internal Harddisk5: Fiveth harddisk will probably need to be an IDE drive
    (Free space in miditower available, Free ide connector available on ide
    cable came with motherboard, Not sure if power cable/connector available)
    Price: -

    Internal Harddisk6: Sixth harddisk will probably need to be an IDE drive
    (Free space in miditower available, Free ide connector available on ide
    cable came with motherboard, Not sure if power cable/connector available )
    Price: -

    External Harddisk7: Seventh harddisk possible via external sata connector.
    Price: -

    Optional Harddisk8 ???: Fiveth sata connector available on motherboard not
    sure what it's for... it's far away will be hard to connect it seems.
    Price: -

    Disk drive: Mitsumi Floppy Disk Drive + 7-in-1 Cardreader (Black)
    Price: 25

    CD/DVD burner: BenQ DW-1655 16x (Dual Layer, R/W, Black, IDE)
    Price: 69

    Keyboard: Logitech UltraX, silver.
    Price: 28

    Mouse: Logitech® Click! Optical Mouse
    Price indication: 25 (Already had this mouse of old computer and kept it, so
    I didn't really pay for this ;), old computer uses a different mouse now)

    Speakerset: Creative GigaWorks S750
    Price: 369

    Extra case fan1: Papst 3412/N2GLLE 92x92x25 millimeter (To blow cool air
    over internal harddisk 1, 3 and 5) (Very loud/noisy/windy on motherboard
    connector but Quiet on low voltage (5 volt) additional power supply
    connector)
    Price: 19

    Extra case fan2: Papst 3412/N2GLLE 92x92x25 millimeter ( To blow cool air
    over internal harddisk 2, 4 and 6 ) (Very loud/noisy/windy on motherboard
    connector but Quiet on low voltage (5 volt) additional power supply
    connector)
    Price: 19

    Extra case fan3 (optional): Papst 3412/N2GLLE 92x92x25 millimeter (??? To
    blow or suck air from cpu region ??? not really necessary, untested)
    Price: 19

    Extra case fan4 (optional): Papst 3412/N2GLLE 92x92x25 millimeter (??? To
    blow or suck air from graphics card region ??? not really necessary,
    untested)
    Price: 19

    Extra rare case fan (required/smart me thinks): Scythe SFLEX 1200 RPM
    120x120x25 millimeter (pretty quiet I think but not 100% sure difficult to
    pin point noise, all in all quiet system.)
    Price: 19

    (The extra rare case fan seems a smart idea to me, it sucks away hot air
    from cpu/memory/motherboard region and takes over the roll of the power
    supply fan so that the power supply fan can spindle slowly for even quiet
    operation.)

    Additional screw set to mount extra case fan 1,2,3 and 4:
    Price: 5

    Additional equipment:

    Gigabit network cable (patch through cable suited for direct connection from
    pc to pc): Sharkoon RJ45 CAT .6 Gray 10 meters
    Price: 15

    Gigabit network card (for old computer): 3COM 3C2000T GBit PCI
    Price: 49

    10x 1.44 MB Floppy disks: Fujji Black
    Price: 4

    *** Absolute basic system price ***:

    LCD Monitor: 1029
    Case: 75
    Power supply: 129
    Motherboard: 191
    Processor: 305
    Memory1: 105
    Graphics card1: 585
    Harddisk1: 348
    Floppy Disk drive + 7-in-1 cardreader: 25
    CD/DVD burner: 69
    Keyboard: 28
    Mouse: 25
    Speakerset: 369

    Absolute basic system total: 3283

    *** Extra desired basic system price ***:

    Memory2: 105
    Memory3: 105
    Memory4: 105
    Harddisk2: 348
    Sound card: 284
    Extra case fan1: 19
    Extra case fan2: 19
    Extra rare case fan: 19
    Screw set: 2

    Extra desired basic system price: 1006

    *** Extreme extra system price (I ordered two graphics card just in case one
    supplier couldn't deliver so I got both cards hehe ;) pretty awesome though)
    ***:

    Graphics card2: 589 (two dual slot graphics card fit perfectly on
    motherboard, lot's of space between them... even room for a small pci card
    between them)

    *** Costs ***:

    Absolute basic system: 3283
    Extra desired system: 3283 + 1006 = 4289
    Extreme system system: 3283 + 1006 + 589 = 4878

    *** Unnecessary costs ***:

    Extra case fan3: 19 (handy for backup or cleaning one and replacing with new
    etc)
    Extra case fan4: 19 (handy for backup or cleaning one and replacing with new
    etc)
    Extra screw set: 3

    *** Transport costs ***:

    Graphics card from Pixmania(No billing information on delivery ?!?): 22.61

    Graphics card from Alternate (No billing information on delivery except from
    transport company ?!): 14.50

    Case, Screws, Floppy Disk Drive, Extra case fans, Network card, Network
    Cable from Alternate (Ok billing information): 14.50

    CD/DVD drive from Alternate (iComputers had wrong color and removed it from
    order): 14.50

    Keyboard from perfect systems (I was hoping for the older model but got
    newer model still good though, Decent billing information): 13

    Speakerset from Perfect Systems: 15

    Memory, Processor, Soundblaster, Harddisk, Motherboard, Power supply from
    iComputers (Very professional billing information ! My complements !): 14

    Monitor from OBCS (No additional billing information on delivery, only
    transport company billing information, no billing information in e-mail have
    to travel to website to get it): 98

    Total transport costs: 206.11

    *** Total price ***

    Absolute basic system: 3283
    Extra desired system: 3283 + 1006 = 4289
    Extreme system system: 3283 + 1006 + 589 = 4878
    Transported system: 3283 + 1006 + 589 + 207 = 5085 (give or take a few
    pennies/bucks ;))

    *** END OF SECTION 1 ***

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 5, 2006

  2. Skybuck Flying

    JAD Guest

    thanks for the warning....PLONK

    JAD, May 5, 2006

  3. What a twit !!! Goodbye for good.

    Rene Lamontagne, May 5, 2006
  4. Skybuck Flying

    John Larkin Guest

    [snipped section 1]
    Geez, who dreams about PCs? Who dreams about garbage disposals?

    John

    John Larkin, May 5, 2006
  5. Skybuck Flying

    DRS Guest

    WHY??????

    DRS, May 5, 2006
  6. Skybuck Flying

    Craig Sutton Guest

    I'm stil lwaiting on your so called testing you know the ones where you
    claim your HD will do 500 MB a second...

    Craig Sutton, May 5, 2006
  7. Not bad... not bad at all!!
    Good thing about not overclocking, as if two or three extra fps matters with
    a setup like this :)

    regards
    Marcel

    Marcel Overweel, May 5, 2006
  8. Skybuck Flying

    SteveH Guest

    Oh look at what I spent on my PC - BIG DEAL!

    SteveH, May 5, 2006
  9. Skybuck Flying

    John Doe Guest

    It's like he's on a big ego trip that never ends.

    John Doe, May 5, 2006
  10. Skybuck Flying

    John Doe Guest

    Better would be to keep it in one thread and one group, if you can't
    get over yourself.

    John Doe, May 5, 2006
  11. Skybuck Flying

    J. Clarke Guest

    Because nobody reading these pathetic cries for help has taken pity on him
    and bought him a life yet?

    J. Clarke, May 5, 2006
  12. Skybuck Flying

    Scotter Guest

    Most of your specs look top-rate... except one thing; the CPU.
    Why did you go with an X2 3800+ rather than the highest end X2 you can get
    now?
    With such mean video cards, your CPU will definitely be a bottleneck @
    1900x1200 resolution in games.

    --
    Scotter
    Tyan Thunder K8WE

    Scotter, May 5, 2006
  13. Skybuck Flying

    John Larkin Guest

    This is about gaming? $5000 for a toy PC? You could buy an $800 Dell
    and use the $4K left to take your girlfriend to Paris or Aspen for a
    few weeks.

    Oh, sorry... I think I see the flaw in that reasoning.

    John

    John Larkin, May 5, 2006
  14. I tested it.

    The problem is the CPU is bottlenecking the harddisk.

    At least that's my observation.

    It's the random number generator... it's a pretty simple random number
    generator.

    Still the X2 3800+ seems to only be able to generate 90 MB/sec for random
    numbers.

    And when I test with data only randomized once it still achieves near 500
    MB/sec.

    I am as baffled as you or anybody else.

    The specs for the harddisks are in the 300+ MB/sec range though.

    So what I am seeing is not to strange or far off.

    Check the specs of the harddisk... I can't remember the exact numbers but it
    was something like that...

    In the hundreds of megabytes/sec.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 5, 2006
  15. I don't think the X2 4800+ would have performed that much better.

    At least the benchmarks I saw only showed 30% improvement.

    However I have done my own benchmarks...

    And I will write a review about the websites who benchmark these things
    because I have something to say about that as well. hehehe.

    But I'll have to do a little bit more research on that.

    But for now I am not saying a word... But you can feel what direction it's
    probably going if you have a poker sense hehe.

    Anyway you ll have to wait for my second or third posting on this topic...
    probably 3 posting ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 5, 2006
  16. Lol all the jealous people are funny as hell lol.

    I write this stuff down so I know exactly what I spent... now and in the
    future...

    And also the know exactly what is in my computer.

    No matter where I am on this world... I can always find this posting via
    google.

    And ofcourse if other people are interested in a splended PC copycat it ;)

    By the way I also compared to a DELL gaming PC with everything maxed out...

    You can't even get 4 GB at DELL only 2 GB and you even and up spending 600
    bucks more ! and that's exclusive their transport costs etc.

    How about that for a nice Dell vs Skybuck/Do it Yourself review =D

    Lovely.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 5, 2006
  17. Skybuck Flying

    John Doe Guest

    You are a comedian in your own head.
    Maybe you did, but that's not what these groups are for.
    You don't the know what is in your computer?
    You don't have to cross post it to high-traffic groups for that
    purpose. One small group will do.

    John Doe, May 5, 2006
  18. Skybuck Flying

    Scotter Guest

    If you are talking about building a "dream machine" then 30% improvement is
    quite a bit. It's not like you are trying to save money or anything. I mean
    if 30% didn't mean much to you then why have two 7900 GTX's? Why not get two
    7900 GT's instead?

    It really doesn't make logical sense for you to max out on other parts but
    skimp on CPU with one that is middle of the pack in performance. Get the
    FX-60! Trust me. I'm running the equivalent of two single core FX-60's
    (Opteron 252's run at 2.6ghz) and I would LOVE to have more processor power!
    Many games will push one of my processors at times to 100%. And when the
    other processor is busy coding or decoding a DVD or rendering 1000+ frames
    of a 3D animation or blah blah blah... you can always use more CPU. PLUS one
    reason *I would assume* you build a "dream" system is for future-proofing. I
    mean you want this system to run without need of upgrade for as long as
    possible, right? And you want it to rock-n-roll on Vista when it comes out,
    right? And you want it to more than handle near-future games at 1920x1200,
    right? Do not skimp on the brain of your computer!

    Finally, with AMD's new sockets coming out very soon that support faster
    memory... are you sure you don't want to wait 2 months? I know the faster
    DDR2 won't make a huge difference in performance. Just curious.

    Scotter, May 5, 2006
  19. Skybuck Flying

    Scotter Guest

    Every few months ARS TECHNICA puts out a "system guide" where they build
    three boxes; a budget box, hotrod, and "god box". You may benefit by looking
    at their latest:

    http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200604.ars

    Scotter, May 5, 2006
  20. Skybuck Flying