Skybuck's updated dream pc design for 2005 (version 4)

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Skybuck Flying, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. Skybuck's updated dream pc design for 2005:

    ( version 4 created on 10 november 2005):

    All prices are in euro's.

    *** Overview ***:

    Case: Chieftec, smart series, SH-01W-W-W, miditower (white)
    Price: 65

    Power supply: Seasonic S12-600 (600 watt)
    Price: 137

    Motherboard: ABIT AN8 SLI 32x (dual core, dual graphics card support)
    Price: unknown, max 200 bucks

    Processor: Athlon 64 X2 Manchester 3800+ (dual core)
    Price: 341

    ( might switch to 2 GB memory sticks, depending on availibility )

    Memory module1: Samsung Original DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz, -
    Price: 96

    (memory module 2,3,4 optional/expansion)

    Memory module2: Samsung Original DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz, -
    Price: 96

    Memory module3: Samsung Original DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz, -
    Price: 96

    Memory module4: Samsung Original DDR SDRAM, 1 GB, PC3200, 400 MHz, -
    Price: 96

    ( might switch to 512 MB graphics cards... depending on cooling solution <-
    not to large/noisy)

    Graphics card1: nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX (Gigabyte GV-NX78X256V-B 256 MB, PCI
    Express x16 )
    Price: 498

    (Videocard 2 optional/expansion:)

    Graphics card2: nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX (Gigabyte GV-NX78X256V-B 256 MB, PCI
    Express x16 )
    Price: 498

    Sound card: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Elite Pro
    Price: 291

    Network card: Linksys EG1032
    Price: 29

    Harddisk1: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Price: 328

    (Hardisk 2,3,4,5,6 optional/expansion:)

    Harddisk2: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Price: 328

    Harddisk3: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Price: 328

    Harddisk4: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Price: 328

    Harddisk5: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Price: 328

    Harddisk6: Hitachi Desktstar 7K500 500 GB, 7.200 rpm, 16 MB, SATA II
    (HDS725050KLA360 )
    Price: 328

    Disk drive: 3.5 diskstation and 7-in-1 cardreader (white)
    Price: 30

    CD/DVD combo drive: IDE, DVD Rewriter: Plextor PX-740A 16 x, 4 x, 16 x, Wit
    (white), Retail
    Price: 65

    Monitor: Iiyama HM903DTB 19 inch, Ivory (HM903DTB)
    Price: 377

    Keyboard: Logitech Internet Pro Keyboard Wit PS/2 (white), OEM
    Price: 10

    Mouse: Logitech Pilot Wheel Mouse Grijs PS/2 (gray), OEM
    Price: 6

    Speakerset: Creative GigaWorks S750
    Price: 380

    *** Total costs: ***

    Basic system:

    Case: 65
    Power supply: 137
    Motherboard: unknown, max 200 bucks
    Processor: 341
    Memory module1: 96
    Graphics card1: 498
    Sound card: 291
    Network card: 29
    Harddisk1: 328
    Disk drive and 7-in-1 card readers: 30
    CD/DVD combo drive: 65
    Monitor: 377
    Keyboard: 10
    Mouse: 6
    Speakerset: 380

    Basic price: 2853

    Extra system:

    Memory module2: 96
    Memory module3: 96
    Memory module4: 96
    Graphics card2: 498
    Harddisk2: 328
    Harddisk3: 328
    Harddisk4: 328
    Harddisk5: 328
    Harddisk6: 328

    Extra price: 2426

    Total price: 5279 (ouch! :))

    *** Comments ***

    1. Nice case, fits well with the rest of the components, and isn't too big.
    Concerns might
    be the airflow because multiple fans could cancel each other out <-
    investigate ;)

    2. Power supply is cool, quite and efficient and is/should be able to supply
    all juicy necessary =D
    It has a slow fan, so the question is if it can draw enough heat out of the
    case... but
    since a slower processor is chosen it should not be a problem... however the
    harddisks
    and the graphics cards also produce lot's of heat... especially the
    harddisks ;) <- can be as much as 60 degrees.
    The case does have optional harddisk cooling fans... the question is if this
    is smart..
    see above point 1 <- airflow.

    3. The little brother of amd x2 4800+, the amd x2 3800+ almost performs as
    well as it's bigger
    brother... but the bigger brother is almost 3x times more expensive while it
    only delivers about 20% performance
    increase, so the athlon x2 4800+ is waaaay too expensive and will also run
    hotter and will require more cooling,
    which means more noise... so the athlon x2 3800+ seems like a nice deal... a
    little bit less processing power... but
    cool, quite and cheap <- and lasts longer ;) =D

    4. I don't know yet how much noise or heat the GTX creates... however I can
    remember reading
    that it's quite quite ;) meaning low noise which is good.

    5. It might be wise to fill in, amd's power chart, to be sure that 600 watts
    is enough for
    the basic+extra system stuff ;) But it's kinda boring haven't done that yet.

    6. The new abit motherboard will have 2 extra sata connectors on top of the
    4 sata connectors
    so 6 sata drives becomes possible... which is how many drives the case can
    mount ;)
    Otherwise a bigger case would need to be selected for 8 drives... but that's
    a bit over the top
    and too much external drive bays... <- 5 or 6 no thank you ;) <- however
    that would leave
    room for some air/heat to go up there... maybe that s good I dont know...
    but the midi tower
    case should be just fine as well... and the full tower might be a bit too
    big... the power
    supply has a little short wire for it's main power connector... but it
    should be just fine
    for the midi tower oh yeah.

    7. The previous motherboard.. the fatality sli 16x... <- probably has waaaay
    too many fans
    so I will wait for this new motherboard with passive cooling etc. <- cool
    and less noisy.
    and full 16x sli slot bandwidth... hopefully ! =D

    8. The case has easy access to all external drives and power button... no
    stupid doors :)

    9. I haven't found any good monitor review site... so I am not 100%
    convinced about the monitor.

    *** Details ***:

    Power supply: Seasonic S12-600 (600 watt)

    6x 5.25 inch 4 pins power connectors
    4x sata drive power connectors
    2x floppy drive power connectors
    24pin or 20pin main power connector Separable
    2x PCIe Graphics power connectors:
    Suited for dual core: yes
    Low noise and efficient.

    16" cable for main 20+4 pin ATX connector.
    26" cable with two 6-pin PCIe video / SLI connectors
    18" auxiliary 12V connector
    19" auxiliary 4x12V connector (for dual CPU boards)
    33 " cable with three 4-pin IDE drive connectors and one floppy drive power
    connector
    27" cable with two 4-pin IDE drive connectors and one floppy drive power
    connector
    2 x 24" cables with two SATA drive connectors each
    21" cable with 3-pin PSU fan speed monitor connector for motherboard

    Posting comments:

    Hello there folks,

    Selecting and building your own PC can be quite time expensive so here is my
    nice list of components all hand picked and looked at from review sites and
    specifications and manuals etc.

    The basic price of 2853 euro's is quite affordable for a high performing,
    high quality, at least 3 to 5 years last PC ;)

    Follow some software/windows optimization tricks... and your/this system
    will fly fly fly fly and fly woeeeh.

    The only unknown factor so far is the motherboard... so I will wait for this
    new motherboard to be available at nearby internet stores.

    I welcome any questions or comments about this design.

    And yes, the extra price is quite expensive, isn't it ! ;) :) <- extra
    components/harddisks etc wow, it's almost as expensive as the basic system !

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 10, 2005