    Would he even see much of a performance increase for his money? On it's
    own the new card does not seem to have that much of a lead on the old
    one unless you get up to very high resolutions.

    Lupe, Nov 4, 2006

  2. Lupe

    First of One Guest

    Two cards have to be based on the same chipset to work in SLI. Their clock
    speed and RAM quantity could be different, but the GPU has to be the same.

    So no, a 7800GTX cannot work with a 7950GX2 in SLI. The 7950GX2 on its own
    is about 2x as fast as his 7800GTX, though, so he can just run the GX2 and
    sell the old card.

    First of One, Nov 4, 2006

  3. Lupe

    DaveW Guest

    You must use IDENTICAL video cards for SLI.

    DaveW, Nov 5, 2006
  4. Lupe

    DRS Guest

    Not any more. Nvidia relaxed the SLI requirements a while back. As First
    of One said, they need to be based on the same chipset, but if one is slower
    than the other then the faster one will be throttled back to match.

    DRS, Nov 5, 2006