SLI with EP45 DS3r Gigabites

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Roswellbob, Feb 2, 2009.

  1. Roswellbob

    Roswellbob Guest

    Roswellbob, Feb 2, 2009

  2. Roswellbob

    Guest Guest

    AFAIK, only Nvidia chipsets support SLI. The EP45-DS3R has the Intel P45
    chipset so I don't think it will work. You might be able to have two cards
    installed but they will act as two independant cards and you would see not
    benefit in terms of performance a al SLI or Crossfire.

    Guest, Feb 2, 2009

  3. Roswellbob

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    Your mainboard uses an Intel P45 chipset. The nVidia graphics drivers will
    not support SLI on this chipset.

    nVidia has not, in the past, permitted SLI on systems with Intel chipsets.
    The exception was the rarely seen Skulltrail mainboards (X5400 chipset, dual
    Socket 771, but with nVidia nForce PCI-E controllers). Some of the latest
    X58 mainboards (Socket 1366, I7 CPU) have been approved for SLI by nVidia,
    if the mainboard maker paid a licensing fee.

    You could plug in a second graphics card, but not for SLI.

    You could do CrossfireX with a pair of ATI cards, if you like. The board
    throttles back to PCI-E 8X if both slots are used, so the CrossfireX
    performance may not be as good as a board that can run two PCI-E X16 slots,
    but I guess that it'd be OK.

    Bob Knowlden, Feb 2, 2009
  4. Roswellbob

    deimos Guest

    Can't do XFire, but you can still do dual display cards (4 monitors),
    and you should be able to utilize the 2nd card as a dedicated Physx adapter.

    deimos, Feb 2, 2009
  5. Roswellbob

    Roswellbob Guest

    Roswellbob, Feb 3, 2009