Sliding Windows and Frame Buffer Power

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Robert Mazur, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. Robert Mazur

    Robert Mazur Guest

    I'm running a U60 with:

    dual 360MHz procs
    1 GB ram
    Elite3D m3 frame buffer
    1280x1024 at 76
    ....and using a:
    Samsung 17" LCD or 17" Sony trinitron CRT

    The picture is good and clear. But when sliding windows around the
    screen, even with just a single terminal window open, the refreshing
    of the windows is very sloppy. Meaning, a slow slide of a window will
    result in a long trail of window refreshes behind it, possibly showing
    eight to ten instances of the window frame edge behind the "active"
    window.

    Is there good reason to think a higher end frame buffer would slide
    windows around smoothly and seamlessly? Or is it more likely the
    machine's horsepower is aged and ought to be retired to "headless"
    duties?

    I actually like the performance of the machine in general (or rather,
    it is acceptable). But the window refreshes have finally come to be a
    bit tough to deal with.

    Thanks,
    Rob

    Robert Mazur, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Robert Mazur

    Paul Eggert Guest

    Which OS are you running? Do you have all the Sun-recommended patches
    installed? Including the Elite3D patches (112620-10 for Solaris 9,
    108604-35 for Solaris 8)?

    Paul Eggert, Apr 13, 2004

  3. On 12 Apr 2004 21:43:38 -0700
    Let me guess, you are running gnome by change?
    I found this kind of problem to be VERY noticeable in gnome and other
    gtk applications. Which leads me to belive there is something quiet
    messed up in gtk's window refresh code, maybe they are not using a
    backstore at all or something.

    --
    Barbie - Prayers are like junkmail for Jesus

    I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
    I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
    I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
    All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last
    week. Time to die.

    Barbie LeVile, Apr 13, 2004
  4. See if you can find a XVR-500, it will move windows around quite decent.

    /wfr
    Fredrik

    Fredrik Lundholm, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Robert Mazur

    Robert Mazur Guest

    This happens whether I am running CDE or Gnome, which is why I was
    leaning towards a hardware issue. Certainly I may be wrong.

    This is with Solaris 9. I do need to check my patch status though, as
    Paul pointed out.

    Rob

    Robert Mazur, Apr 13, 2004
  6. Robert Mazur

    Robert Mazur Guest

    I am using Solaris 9 and have 112620-01 installed. I searched out
    112620-10 on SunSolve, only to find it is available to contract
    customers only. That's kind of weak.

    Rob

    Robert Mazur, Apr 13, 2004
  7. You can get 112620-04 from the Solaris 9 MU4 patchset freely available from
    sunsolve.

    OR:

    Download Solaris 9 4/04 and install the afb-packages from the CD.
    Then you will get 112620-10.
    /wfr
    Fredrik

    Fredrik Lundholm, Apr 13, 2004
  8. (Robert Mazur) writes in comp.sys.sun.hardware:
    |I am using Solaris 9 and have 112620-01 installed. I searched out
    |112620-10 on SunSolve, only to find it is available to contract
    |customers only. That's kind of weak.

    You can download it from the SunSolve beta site, where almost all
    patches are freely available to all users:
    http://sunsolve6.sun.com/

    Alan Coopersmith, Apr 14, 2004