    connection.

    Earthlink is either stupid or intentionally lying.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 22, 2006

  2. don't know if he is still there but you can try this guy. however i doubt
    they will do anything for you as....
    bob mcnamara, executive relations, earthlink headquarters,
    (800) 719-4664 x22205

    Christopher Muto, May 22, 2006

  3. I just checked with Earthlink Customer Service (U.S.-based)
    and I asked to speak with a supervisor. He confirmed that
    their *training* says that FCC regulations prevent more than
    1 broadband service per location. He said that if a cable
    company knows that there is DSL service at a customer's
    location, it will not install cable broadband data service there.
    But, when asked about 2 DSL services, he said that it would
    be legal if they were to go on different telephone lines, i.e.
    different telephone accounts. When asked, though, if he could
    cite the FCC regulation for me, or if he could point me to it on
    the Web, or if he could put me in touch with someone who
    could offer more information about the FCC regulation, he
    said that he could not.

    On the other hand, when I called Comcast to ask if they
    would be prevented by FCC regulations from installing
    broadband internet service to a location which already had
    DSL service, he said "No, why would there be?" When I
    asked if I could get broadband internet service on two
    comcast coaxial lines running to the same location, he "Sure,
    but why would you?"

    To pursue the matter, I again called Earthlink and spoke
    with Sales, and the frontline rep said it would be against FCC
    regualtions. But when I pressed on why, I was passed on to
    someone better spoken. I asked the next person if I could get
    Earthlink DSL if I ALREADY had Comcast cable.They said
    I should give them my phone number to check. I gavethem my
    phone number, and their computer was inconclusive. I gave
    them my address (including zip code), and their computer said
    that I COULD get broadband service - up to 6.0Mbps download
    speed. I then asked if the situation would be the same if my
    pre-existing cable internet service were by Time Warner. The
    rep answered "I've never been able to it, at least not on this
    computer."

    Bottom line: There is NO government regulation that prevents
    the installation of multiple broadband services at the same
    location. Earthlink Customer Service reps' training has them
    saying that to avoid competition with TimeWarner's cable
    internet service. In short, contractual agreements between
    Earthlink and Time Warner are probably the reason for the BS.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, May 22, 2006
  4. Von Fourche

    Von Fourche Guest

    Would you mine telling me how you contacted U.S. based Earthlink
    customer service?

    Von Fourche, May 22, 2006
  5. Von Fourche

    mdp Guest

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    Nice research. You got further than I did with Earthlink reps. Still
    sticking to the same story. Too bad about their policy, I could have been
    paying Earthlink some $50+ a month for the last 18 months instead of to
    TW/RoadRunner. Moreover, I'm paying about $10 more per month for cable than
    I did with DSL but I'm getting over 10x speed increase (768K vs. 8000K).

    mdp, May 22, 2006
  6. Von Fourche

    Von Fourche Guest

    So I can see if I can get my DSL lowered or something.

    Von Fourche, May 22, 2006

  7. I called during U.S. business hours. :)
    It still doesn't mean that I spoke with Earthlink employees,
    though, as they could well have been with contract houses.
    But speaking to Americans at least removed the possibility
    of language and cultural mis-interpretations.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, May 23, 2006

  8. In my condo building, Earthlink's ADSL comes in at
    around 2Mbps late at night for a neighbor, and about
    4Mbps on my Comcast cable. I'm sorry, I don't know
    right now what level of service my neighbor pays for,
    but I think it's the 3.0Mbps level. I pay $57/mo including
    tax, and he pays $35 before tax. On a per Mbps basis,
    he pays more, but since I don't download a lot of large
    files, his speed would be fine for me. What really makes
    me take pause is that the Earthlink news server seems
    to have become an orphan with poor performance and
    poor support, so I have to factor in the cost of a
    subscription with GigaNews to compare Earthlink with
    Comcast.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, May 23, 2006
  9. Von Fourche

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Please tell me what planet you are living on?

    I just checked, and there is no cable service anywhere in the US providing
    8MB downloads. And you had the option of getting a faster tier on your DSL.

    Here's where your logic falls apart...

    With DSL, you get your bandwidth 24 / 7. I currently have 3MB, and because
    I live only a couple of hundred feet from the switch, I actually get faster.
    I get it all day, all night, every day.

    Your cable fluctuates wildly during the day. It is much slower during the
    peak hours. Your service is also capped, so that the cable company can have
    the max number of subscribers.

    Currently, the fastest cable service offered is 6MB *AT THE FRONT END*.
    After accounting for overhead, the uplink channel, and the number of
    subscribers, you will only get about 4 to 4.5 MB at max, and that is only if
    you are running uncapped. You are paying for a service which you are not
    getting. But you just go ahead and continue to sing the virtues of cable.

    Here is another thought...when the power goes out...so does your cable.
    When the power goes out, I still have my phone line and internet access.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 23, 2006
  10. Von Fourche

    journey Guest

    For me cable is more cost-effective because it's bundled with digital
    cable, and because I am cell-only (unlimited, long distance, any time
    -- Einstein PCS) for phone service. To get DSL I would need to get a
    home phone line.

    I did various calculations including dumping cable TV altogether
    during the warm months (and reactivating it in Nov. for when I start
    to hibernate). From a cost perspective, with the current deal from
    the cable company, I might as well keep cable, and I might as well
    keep digital cable.

    As far as speed and availability, I don't think I would notice any
    difference either way. My cable goes out maybe twice a year for short
    periods. It's available 24/7.

    I am limited for uploads, but I don't upload large files very often.

    I don't think "cost / megabyte" calculations make much sense. It
    would only if one were pushing the limits on an ongoing basis.

    I wish my neighbors and I could get together and put one strong
    wireless transmitter so that 8 apartments could access it. For a
    while my neighbors didn't secure their networks but now they have.
    Darn, I could have saved some money!

    One of my neighbors is a computer guru, and I wonder if he ever has
    accessed my computers thru wireless. I only use WEP and haven't
    gotten around to finding about WPA or not broadcasting my SSID. He
    says WEP is easily crackable (for him). Oh well, if he cracked my
    network and read my personal journal entries it would only put him to
    sleep. My passwords and some other information is encrypted (Splash
    ID, Info Select (www.miclog.com), and The Journal 4 which is much more
    than a journaling program -- VERY powerful).

    What makes sense for one person may not make sense for another. If
    having an unlimited cell wasn't a priority for me then I might be able
    to make a cost-saving case for DSL. However, the more I use my Treo,
    the more I like it including some of the made-for-PDA web pages that
    are out there and e-mail access.

    I don't know if I can use my cell via bluetooth as a modem to access
    the Internet from my laptop when out and about. Even if I could I
    think I would only rarely use it. Unfortunately the Treo 700p isn't
    available yet for GSM networks so I'm stuck with a 650.

    Journey

    journey, May 23, 2006
  11. Von Fourche

    journey Guest

    Giganews is great. I never have any problems with it, the retention
    time periods are amazing, and binary groups hardly ever are missing
    parts. The cost for the amount I use is I think around $12 / month,
    well worth it.

    Journey

    journey, May 23, 2006
  12. i suspect that your neighbors Comcast internet cable pricing is dependant on
    the level of television and/or internet phone service he is getting.
    without the additional services it is about $10 more making it essentially
    the same as your dsl line. that's the price earthlink sees themselves as
    competing with.

    Christopher Muto, May 23, 2006
  13. Von Fourche

    mdp Guest

    8 Mbps available here:

    http://www.timewarnercable.com/socal/products/internet/rrpremiumdiv.html

    Speed measured here (many other sites exist too):

    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 7692 kbps (961.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 478 kbps (59.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

    As far as throughput fluctuations, I personally never experience them. Our
    neighborhood must be provisioned well. As far as power outages, I'm not
    aware of any modems that don't require power so a DSL modem or a cable modem
    will go out too.

    mdp, May 23, 2006
  14. Von Fourche

    Tom Scales Guest

    MB no
    Mb yes

    Guess you don't live in Orlando. 8Mbps is the standard service. The
    upgraded service is 10Mbps.

    Brighthouse/RoadRunner

    Tom Scales, May 23, 2006

  15. No, *I'm* the guy with the Comcast cable ISP, and the
    *neighbor* is the guy with the Earthlink DSL. My DSL price
    of $57/mo is high because I have no cable TV and no cable
    telephone. Since I wouldn't use cable telephone for BOTH
    of my 2 telephone lines and since I don't need and don't have
    all the Call Waiting and Voicemail and Call Forwarding, etc.
    bells and whistles on my POTS lines, cable telephone would
    cost much more than my 2 SBC POTS lines. But $57/mo for
    cable ISP still makes me squirm, and that's why I'm always
    open to considering DSL. But as I pointed out, the comparison
    is not simple due to Earthlink's lousy news server and the
    prospect of a discount for cable TV if I should subscribe. And
    now I find that I can get a discount from the phone company
    on a DirecTV subscription.... and on it goes.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, May 23, 2006
  16. Von Fourche

    journey Guest

    My cable is $80 / month (plus fees whatever they are) for digital
    cable including many movie channels, music channels, etc. It is a
    20-month deal that ends in November. When I called them to determine
    if I can cut costs the person said that the deal would be extended. I
    guess they don't want to lose customers to DSL.

    Journey

    journey, May 23, 2006

  17. Yeah, the promos just seem to be the bulk of the deals, right now.
    It has taken me 2 afternoons to gather enough information on ISP
    and TV providers to make an apples-to-apples comparison based
    on the longterm service prices and NOT on the promo prices. It
    seems that promos are becoming the longterm environment.
    Between 2 satellite companies and a telco and a cable company
    offering TV, Internet, and telephone service, the combinations
    and their partnering deals are a headache to figure out. And, of
    course, that's by design. I fully expect that when I call Comcast to
    cancel my Internet service to go to Earthlink DSL, Comcast will
    counter with a 12-month promo offer on Internet or a TV package.
    It's called "Customer Retention", and it further thwarts any kind
    of pricing analysis.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, May 24, 2006
  18. Von Fourche

    Jack Zwick Guest

    ATT dialup is free for 30 days, so I signed up for that, and then
    disconnected Earthlink dsl, and got ATT (then SBC) dsl (an "upgrade"),
    took about 10 days.

    A year later, I re-upped, and my dsl is now $19.99/month for 3 mbps,
    while Earthlink was charging me $39.99 for 1.5 mbps.

    Dsl is over the telco's wires so its equally reliable for me (as opposed
    to regular grief I had with the local Warner (RR) Cable (YMMV). I do
    have a faster and more reliable News Server. If you glance at the
    Earthlink newsgroups, you'll see regular complaints about their news
    server.

    Jack Zwick, Jun 6, 2006