    michaeljc70 Guest

    Can I replace the DVD reader/CD writer on my laptop with any of the
    internal slim dvd writers or is there more to it than that?

    michaeljc70, Jul 28, 2005

  2. If it's a standard slim line drive then you probably can.. easiest way is
    either A) Open the thing and look for yourself or B) Look up the model on
    google....
    Please note that some internal drives can be quite a challenge to replace
    :)

    /Morten

    Morten Lundstrøm, Jul 28, 2005

  3. michaeljc70

    BigJim Guest

    they are not all the same as far as connections, but if you get the right
    one just take one out and put the other in. Boot up, load your burning
    software and burn away.

    BigJim, Jul 29, 2005
  4. Maybe, maybe not. There really is no general answer to this question,
    you almost just have to try it. The biggest issues, in most instances,
    are mechanical rather than electrical.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 29, 2005
  5. michaeljc70

    Leon Willard Guest

    I just went through this problem with my Presario 2800 after ordering a slim
    DVD from Newegg, and then having to return it because the connector on the
    back was different. I called Newegg to swap for one that would fit. It took
    them a few minutes to check, but told me they didn't carry one with the
    correct connector, so I had to pay a restocking charge. But it seems they do
    have a 'conversion' list, so it may be in your interest to give them a call
    to see if they carry one that will fit.-- As far as I can tell, the
    difference is whether the rear connector is on the left or the right, and is
    real easy to spot because the connectors are also a different size. If you
    remove yours, then go to Newegg or a site like NEC, you'll be able to see
    the connector differences. Good luck. --- Leon

    Leon Willard, Jul 31, 2005
  6. michaeljc70

    carl0s Guest

    Also the bezels aren't always as interchangable as they should be.

    carl0s, Aug 11, 2005