    bus, but most case fans are rated around .15 to .2 amps a piece so this
    would quickly fill the remaining current draw left on the bus, i was
    wondering if the bus could be damaged by drawing to much current over it.

    Kabome, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Kabome

    Brian Guest

    The U stands for Universal - meaning it comes with plates that are to be
    installed to allow the heatsink to fit on an AMD or an INTEL processor.

    The SLK 900 is also quite large - have you checked on thermals site to make
    sure it will fit ok on the mobo? I just ordered an SLK 800 and smart fan 2
    (80mm) from newegg myself. It seems your using AMD since your posting here -
    I would buy the cheaper of the two, 900A or 900U

    Brian, Sep 1, 2003

  3. If your mobo has boltholes you should use them for this heatsink. It's
    simply too large to depend on socket lugs. The thermalright website will
    say if it will fit on your mobo. Also, you don't need a 50db 92mm case fan
    to cool this. a 28db 92mm will still move 60cfm and be fairly quiet. I
    would not plug it into the motherboard either, use a powersupply connector.

    rms

    Roger Squires, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Kabome

    LBJGH Guest

    The 900a is configured differently than the 900u. The fins on the 900a run
    the same way as the 800a and help the HS clear capacitors which was an issue
    on the 900u and some motherboards.

    Have a look at this review:

    http://www.techaddicts.net/slk900a/slk900a2.html

    My SLK800a keeps my 1700+ @ 2520mhz under 55c with a 36cfm sunon fan

    LBJGH, Sep 1, 2003
  5. Kabome

    Kabome Guest

    Yea, i know not to plug it into a mobo header. I also know i don't NEED a
    vantec tornado to cool it with, but i don't mind the noise when i need the
    cooling but i'd like the option to turn it down, i was wondering what buses
    people have used to control a large current draw fan like the tornado.

    Kabome, Sep 1, 2003
  6. Kabome

    Kabome Guest

    Well, my local cooling vendor sells both the 900a and 900u for the same
    price, as well, i've checked and the 900u does fit on the epox 8rda+, so,
    for me i can go either way, i was just wondering if either had a performance
    advantage over the other.

    A website review comparing the two would be great, i've been looking but
    haven't been able to find one.

    Kabome, Sep 1, 2003