Slow boot up in WIN XP

Discussion in 'Epox' started by cee, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. cee

    cee Guest

    Hello,

    I am experiencing a new problem where my PC takes almost 5 mins to boot up.
    After the Win XP boot display (Black background and Win XP home graphics)
    the screen goes black, no display for about 5 mins. This problem came out of
    know where. I am not sure if it is the result of a recent windows update. I
    have tried disabling and uninstalling the anti-virus software and firewall
    software. After booting up, the system shows no performance issues. Any
    suggestions?

    Here are my systems spec:

    OS: Win XP Home SP1
    CPU: AMD Athlon 1700XP
    PSU: 375 watts
    Video : Geforce 3 64mb ram Driver 2.9.4.2
    MB : EPOX 8KHA+
    RAM: 1 GB PC2100 DDR
    HD : Boot WD 1200JB/ 8 megs of cache - 100 megs free/ IBM sec drive
    Sound : SB Live
    Drive : Lite on burner and DVD rom
    Dlink NIC card -This computer is on a home network
    USB 2.0 PCI controller card

    cee, Aug 4, 2003

  2. cee

    B Guest

    Since MS has taken the bootvis tool off their website I recommend you do a
    repair install of your Windows XP and this should fix the problem, or better
    still if you can get into Windows XP at all then try a restore point prior
    to when the problem first occurred.

    regards

    B, Aug 4, 2003

  3. cee

    relic Guest

    relic, Aug 4, 2003
  4. cee

    cee Guest

    I have already tried the boot util from MS. Even after optimizing the
    computer for a faster boot, there is no change. I also re-installed windows
    (Not a clean install). After the install the boot up time was normal. Once I
    installed all the windows updates, the problem came back.

    cee, Aug 4, 2003
  5. Just for grins, remove your network card and see if things improve.

    I don't remember the specifics, but there sometimes can be an issue if your
    network card is configured to use DHCP but when the system is booting up,
    the network card is having a hard time getting a response from the DHCP
    server on the network and it keeps trying for some time before the boot
    process continues.

    Timothy Drouillard, Aug 4, 2003
  6. cee

    Guest Guest

    Google for "bootvis" Then READ.

    Buster

    Guest, Aug 4, 2003
  7. cee

    Interossiter Guest

    Uninstall 811493 and try again.

    Also, chkdsk doesn't work well from within windows. Boot from the CD and run it from the first repair prompt. Use chkdsk /p if you suspect only small problems and chkdsk /r if you think the disk may need something more.

    Make sure your anti virus and anti spyware progs are installed and up to date, too. Also check defrag after the updates. It may be in bad need of it at that point.

    Interossiter, Aug 5, 2003
  8. As a generality, I disagree.

    Although I've heard of some cases where it can cause an XP system to take
    quite awhile, I believe that is the exception rather than the rule.

    I'm a Senior Network Administrator and have been for 14 years.

    I have yet to see any of our XP system exhibit that behavior.
    The only systems we assign a static IP address to are systems that require
    it either for licensing issues or because they have other reasons a static
    address is needed. All other systems get their address from a DHCP server.

    Any automatic configured network that has an XP in it has a problem on the
    XP machine. It can literally take minutes until XP finds it's place. It is
    always better to manually assign IP numbers to an XP in a network. The
    network comes up in under 3 seconds once it gets to the point of looking for
    it, then.

    Timothy Drouillard, Aug 5, 2003
  9. Ah, perhaps, your networks run differently than mine for some reason.

    Our networks are still Server NT 4.0 based with approx 25 servers.

    Desktops are a mixture of 98, NT Win2K and XP.

    No I do not use Linux at all at work.

    I don't doubt your own findings at all. perhaps for whatever reason there is
    a difference on your or mine networks that make them act differently.

    All I know is what I see on my network.

    I also have been involved with systems and networks far longer than the 14
    years in my current position.

    I have no interest in getting into an argument over 'I'm right and you're
    wrong', or anything else. That's not the point.

    I simply offered an opinion based on my experience. That's all.

    You should try to be more positive, then.
    Wrong. It is actually the common way XP behaves on a network.
    Whoopee. Should I tell you I have been involved with networks since 1973?
    Look harder.
    A bad idea but you probably use Linux.

    Timothy Drouillard, Aug 5, 2003
  10. cee

    Nichole Guest

    Well there are lots of suggestions so here is one more... I suggest you
    visit http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/ there you will find all sorts of
    goodies to tweak out XP for the best and fastest possible use... Also a
    simple google search " tweak tweek windows xp home professional tweaks
    tweaking" will bring up dozens of well informed sites that will assist you
    in closing what is slowing your boot. By default XP Home starts a lots of
    services that are not really needed by the computer. Example: If you are not
    using Wi-Fi, the service still starts 'automatic' by default. Keeping a
    handle on the services your cpu only needs helps speed things up and frees
    resources.

    Nichole

    Nichole, Aug 10, 2003
  11. cee

    bonjohnny

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Same thing happened to me. After a clean install everything was fine until I started getting my updates from microsoft. After 4 days and 8 more clean installs with calling microsoft to reactivate I finally found the culprit. It was a faulty usb device. I unplugged all my usb devices from the back and replaced them one at a time. This fixed my problem and I hope it helps you as well.

    bonjohnny, Nov 8, 2007
  12. cee

    Ganeshs

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2009
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ganeshs, Mar 28, 2009
  13. cee

    Ganeshs

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2009
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ganeshs, Mar 31, 2009
  14. cee

    rcmichelle

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    God, why not use a software to fix this problem,try to google tuneup360, this will be easier.

    rcmichelle, Nov 18, 2010
  15. cee

    BillTav

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have a specific delay in my XP bootup. All goes quickly until the wallpaper display - then there is a wait of 2.5 minutes before the desktop icons appear. I suspect the delay may be one of the services - but I have not been able to figure out which is causing the delay. What could be running in that specific interval?

    --Bill

    BillTav, Jun 17, 2011
  16. cee

    Kip Mcgee

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2013
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Check your startup items You can do this by going to run and type msconfig and uncheck most of the Items leave your virus protection running you can always go back and check it if you want a certin running every time you boot.
    reboot and check do not show this message again when it pops up.

    Kip Mcgee, Jul 30, 2013