  1. andy

    andy Guest

    I have just upgrade my boss from a tc1000 to a tc1100, but the time it takes bootup is about double that on the old tc1000. both systems have had 512 Mb ram expansion. however the tc1100 has had norton internet security 2003 loaded.

    andy, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Depending on what Norton has autostarting (windoctor, etc) you can
    certainly consider that one of the prime suspects. You can manually
    look at your startup folder, and in your registry
    (HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    Look to see what's starting up.

    You can also easily test things with the msconfig program. You can
    look through the listings, see what the computer is spending time
    starting up, and selectively uncheck things to test.

    It's certainly worthwhile looking at what's all in there, especially
    if it's a new machine - many OEM's preload things on there that you
    may not actually want or need. So you'll have to make a determination
    of what programs you want to wait for, and what ones you can do
    without.

    Normal warnings apply, make a restore point, and be careful. :)

    John

    JDTHREE [MVP], Jun 29, 2004

  3. Hi,
    I recommend using BootVis which Microsoft used to offer for OEMs. You can
    still get it from some of the download sites. It organizes the order that
    files are stored on the hard disk to improve the boot time.

    Chris De Herrera, Jun 29, 2004
  4. andy

    Austin Chen Guest

    I found the problem is due to the Symantec LiveUpdate service. If you turn
    off the Automatic LiveUpdate, the boot time should be normal. Then you
    should execute the LiveUpdate manually.

    Austin

    Austin Chen, Jun 30, 2004