Slow machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rinso21, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Rinso21

    Rinso21 Guest

    I have a computor with the following specs.
    Intel celeron 700mhz
    Windows 98 se
    Internet explorer 6
    19GB hdd, with 2.11 GB spare
    128MB ram
    I'm seeking help with a problem.
    Lately my computer has been playing up by being exceptionally slow to
    load net pages.
    It also has a pop up that frequently appears saying "run time error
    line 39 (or 24 or whatever) is not a picture. do you want to debug"
    Sometimes an application won't close when required.
    Sometimes an application ( internet or Email ) won't load.
    Sometimes when in Microsoft Excel all sorts of strange noises play
    through the speakers.
    Could heat be a possible problem? The other day we just put a case fan
    in (the bottom front, sucking air in.) The only case fan we had before
    we put this in was in the power unit. This doesn't seem to have had
    any effect.
    Can anyone help me with a likely cause or remedy?

    Rinso21, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Rinso21

    ray Guest

    what are ur temp readings.... doubtfull its temp though, more likley
    jst ur installation gone corrupt (OS or other software)

    ray, Nov 28, 2003

  3. Rinso21

    Taylor Guest

    Well, do you frequently run a virus scanner or have you ever? That
    would be the first culprit I would check for, especially since you are
    running Windows 98. If you do not have any commercial anti virus
    software try heading over to housecall.trendmicro.com they maintain a
    great free web based virus scanner, just follow their instructions to
    install and run it. Do you run any firewalling? It sounds to me like
    you either have acquired one of the new worms that are floating around
    (most likely) or some other form of malware eating up disk usage and
    making a mess. Go to http://www.downloads.com and search for zone
    alarm, download and install their free firewall it will help keep you
    a little bit more secure on the internet. If all else fails, or you
    need more help come back here, but I think this should fix your
    problem.

    Taylor, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Rinso21

    DaveW Guest

    Sounds like either a heat problem somewhere OR a worm has gotten into your
    system

    DaveW, Nov 29, 2003
  5. Rinso21

    Rinso21 Guest

    Hmmm, we have norton AV 2002 with current subscription service, and
    automatic Live Update, so i dont think viruses are the problem, unless
    its an unknown one... It is getting into summer and its hot, so i took
    one of the panels of the case and sat a fan against the motherboard
    side, and that seem to help a bit. Maybe it was once way too hot and
    something burned out? Also, another problem which just came up, when i
    scroll down some web pages, the text and pictures seem to drag all
    over the page, as if it is ink and its wet. I know this is common, but
    this does it really badly, and doesnt go away after a second or two,
    it just gets worse and worse as i keep scrolling.

    Thanks for all your inputs anyway

    Rinso21, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Rinso21

    Bones13 Guest

    Back-up all your important info., format your drive and reinstall
    windows. It's a hassle but when you're done you will think you have a
    brand new machine. After so ling you collect so much junk on your hard
    disk that you may never solve the problem.

    Bones13, Dec 7, 2003