    Your valuable comments on measuring and tweaking my notebook are
    welcome..

    Pand

    Pand, May 19, 2004

  2. Pand

    Aaron Guest

    Lot's of times notebooks are clocked down, or have speed limiting
    features, in order to preserve battery life. Usually these go off
    when you plug them into the wall, but something might not be working
    right. Another possibility is that your software is a little
    different on the notebook, or there are other background services
    running that slow things down. Make sure you have all Windows
    updates, scan for viruses, etc.

    Aaron

    Aaron, May 19, 2004

  3. Pand

    Pand Guest

    hi,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I have carried out all your sugesstions ;
    (1) Notebook is plugged in AC wall outlet.
    (2) All windowss XP updates have been carried out.
    (3) Installed Norton 2004 Antivirus and scanned the whole disk for
    viruses (no virus found).

    Still I have not found any improvement in speed. I wish to know, if
    there is standard speed measurement software tool that I can use in my
    notebook and also in Desktop and compare them. Any further ideas in
    this regard are welcome...

    cheers
    Pand

    Pand, May 20, 2004
  4. hi,

    Please try this and see.
    Tyte doing msconfig, that is click start-> run then type msconfig,
    under general tab uncheck load start up items, but this can disable
    your norton also while u are internet, so better go to start up tab if
    u are using norton then elave teh options ccApp or NAV checked if u
    are using mcaffee then keep thinsga like mc or mm checked, u can find
    it in the explanation aprt whethet it is a vortus ptogram or not, then
    make sure u uncheck eerything else except these stuff, under start up
    please do jot fo anything in other tabs or in othet options except
    what is written here. then click on apply anr then click on close, it
    will ask to retstart , u need to retsrat the computer for the effects
    will make computer a little faster, and one more thing, this
    particlaur step will clear all the srat up programs in thensystem trya
    , these sugegstion are only for windows xp.

    Regards,
    Aravind.

    S.Aravind Ganesh Padmanaban, May 20, 2004
  5. Pand

    Aaron Guest

    I have recently been using SiSoftware Sandra Standard. Works well,
    and you can compare your processor against others easily. Search
    online, I think it's freeware. Or else just search for "Freeware
    Benchmark", or something like that.

    Aaron

    Aaron, May 22, 2004
  6. Pand

    Paul Guest

    Aaron,

    Format, and reinstall windows xp (pro recommended) do not use the
    recovery disks. Just a fresh install of XP. Off the shel computers
    come with a ton of software, most of which is useless, and slows down
    your machine.

    If you don't want to do that download Ad Aware and SpyBot from
    www.download.com Make sure you get the real versions. Update them
    and use them weekly. This searches for spyware and adware, programs
    that monitor your surfing habits and eat of system resources.

    FYI most music sharing programs (kazaa, morpheious, kazaa lite,
    grogster) all come with spyware, steer clear of those.

    And don't ever buy a compaq again. Dell or Gateway

    Paul, May 24, 2004