    I have a AMD Barton XP2500+ and 512 Ram!

    Regards
    Leif

    Leif, Jul 5, 2003

  2. Leif

    TomG Guest

    what size stripe block did you create?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 113,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jul 5, 2003

  3. Leif

    Doug G. Guest

    Try disabling 'CPU Disconnect Function' in the BIOS.

    Doug

    Doug G., Jul 6, 2003
  4. Leif

    Leif Guest

    The strange thing is I installed a patch from www.viaarena.com wich supposed
    to increase performance on raid systems. The instructions told specificly
    that it was not for my chipset. But i installed it anyway! Now I only have
    slightly worse benchmark than my WD ATA100 80 Gb drive! Can it be some kind
    of driver problem?

    Leif, Jul 6, 2003
  5. Leif

    Leif Guest

    Would that affect stripe speed that much? I mean from slower than ATA33 to
    raid performance? I´ll give it a go!!
    As i reply to TomG I installed a patch from via......! Strange!

    Thanks

    Leif, Jul 6, 2003
  6. Leif

    TomG Guest

    you may want to try 16K as that is the size that most of the folks I worked
    with here in the group, including myself, reported the best results with.

    TomG, Jul 6, 2003
  7. Leif

    Leif Guest

    Ok! Thanks for the advice! I heard somewhere that raid manufacturers
    themself advise to use 64K (thats default when in bios setup).
    How should I format NTFS then? Do I use 16K clusters?
    Could the 64K choice explain why my results are similar with a "normal"
    ATA100 drive?

    Leif

    Leif, Jul 6, 2003
  8. Leif

    TomG Guest

    if he is using a Highpoint controller, it is viewed as a SCSI controller and
    you do not get the option for DMA mode as it is always in DMA mode.

    TomG, Jul 6, 2003
  9. Leif

    Leif Guest

    That´s how i did it!
    way.

    As I said I use 64 K block in the raid. For c: I use NTFS default 4k but
    another partition on the stripeset I use NTFS 32k. The 32k is much faster
    reading an aprox 450 Mb file, than the c:.
    What really bothers me is that i got a better performance installing the VIA
    raid enhancement patch, wich specificly said it was NOT for my chipset! That
    really confuses me!

    Tomorrow I reformat 16k and do a new benchmark!

    Leif, Jul 6, 2003
  10. Leif

    Leif Guest

    Well, the raid bios setup say its ATA100 drives!

    in message

    Leif, Jul 6, 2003