Small Laptop Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Michael, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next month. I don't plan to use it that
    often, but I've found that I really need it for work. What I'm looking for
    is something really small so I can bring it on trips and to the datacenter
    with no problems. Small is the real key, performance comes secondary. I've
    been looking at the following laptops:

    Fujitsu LifeBook B2630
    Sony X505
    IBM X40

    Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on these models or any
    others? Again, I'm not looking for a desktop replacement with a monstrous
    screen, I'm looking for a "tool" to get my work done when a desktop just
    isn't available.

    I look forward to your help!

    Michael

    Michael, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Michael

    Notan Guest

    Don't forget the Dell X300.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Michael

    Adam Helberg Guest

    Another one that looks good is the Portable One UX
    http://www.laptopsinc.com/Merchant2...Code=UXM5P&Category_Code=P1UX&Product_Count=0

    Adam Helberg, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Michael

    Dan Koren Guest

    Fujitsu P7010D or B3020D.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Aug 14, 2004
  5. I just finished a similar search, and chose a Fujitsu Lifebook
    P7010. If you would like to see a comparison table I made of the
    computers I thought were possibilities, please visit:

    http://heise.nu/notebooks.doc

    Theodore Heise, Aug 14, 2004
  6. Michael

    Jim Guest

    So far, after 4 months, I'm pretty delighted with my Sony TR3A.

    Jim, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Michael

    Joe Davis Guest

    I can't talk about the TR3A, but personal experience with the Sony 505 was
    not that good. Some interesting proprietary tech features, mediocre
    performance and lots of plastic parts that were susceptible to breaking.
    Terrible warranty and customer service. If you buy it, get it from a store
    that will help back-up the warranty.

    The IBM is solid, but also note the X31--it is an older model, but some
    features are better than the X-40.

    Joe Davis, Aug 14, 2004
  8. The TR5A was my second choice, behind the Fujitsu P7010.

    Theodore Heise, Aug 14, 2004
  9. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Wow....comment on the X505 is appreciated.

    Michael

    Michael, Aug 14, 2004
  10. Michael

    Adam Helberg Guest

    Did you check out the Portable One UX?

    Adam Helberg, Aug 15, 2004
  11. Michael

    E Brown Guest

    I'm pretty sure Joe was referring to the older 505 models, not the
    new X505. I think some of the same comments might apply to the X505 as
    well, but can't say from direct experience. I do agree that the X31
    is, imo, superior to the X40 (and X505). both sacrifice too much for
    their thin, lightweight form factors.
    Emanuel

    E Brown, Aug 15, 2004
  12.
    Theodore Heise, Aug 15, 2004
  13. Michael

    j647 Guest

    powerBook, expensive but very hip

    j647, Aug 15, 2004
  14. Michael

    Crazier Guest

    Crazier, Aug 15, 2004
  15. Michael

    Michael Guest

    What do you mean? What do they sacrifice exactly?

    This is completely a tool for work. I want to be able to carry/move
    it/rotate it/prop it up with ease. Basically it's so I can go on-site and
    get some work done in last-second, tight spots. It can be as slow as a
    Pentium II, but if I'm going to buy a new one of course it won't be that
    slow. Size and weight are the biggest things. Gotta have at least one USB
    port and one RJ-45 network built in. That's about it.

    Michael

    Michael, Aug 16, 2004
  16. The X40 features a 1.8" HDD vs. standard 2.5" for the X31. This means
    smaller capacity and higher price. If HDD capacity and price are no
    constraints for you, then there's no sacrifice.

    Cheers, Dominique

    Dominique Pivard, Aug 16, 2004
  17. Michael

    Joe Davis Guest

    The X31 has a better (optional) docking station, which accepts a half-length
    PCI card. The X40 basically has a port replicator.

    Joe Davis, Aug 16, 2004
  18. Michael

    David Chien Guest

    See www.deja.com for the usual past posts on this topic.

    From smaller to bigger (approximately):

    Sony U50/70 series - 1lbs, doesn't get smaller than this today! 5"
    screen and fits in a pant pocket, easily!
    Sony U101 series - discontinued, a little bigger than the U50/70 series
    and smaller than Toshiba Libretto.
    JVC Interlink XP series - a touch bigger than the Libretto
    Toshiba Libretto L50 through L110 models and various Japan-only models.
    - discontinued, dirt-cheap on www.ebay.com for <$300.
    Sony Picturebook - older models, discontinued, cheap on www.ebay.com.
    Fujitsu Interlink XP & Sony TR series - 3lbs, size of a magazine cover,
    the smallest you'll get with a built-in DVD burner in any laptop made today.

    More models at www.conics.net and www.dynamism.com

    ----

    Picks? If you want the absolute smallest -- Sony U50/70 series.
    Cheap & small -- Toshiba Libretto 110 (though not the fastest, fine for
    the basics of web surfing, email, etc.)
    Fast & all-in-one -- Fujitsu Interlink XP or Sony TR series.

    David Chien, Aug 16, 2004
  19. Michael

    Jim Guest

    Well, while everyone is talking about IBM, I'll talk about my TR3A. It weighs 3.11 lbs. The
    screen is a 10.6in lcd but runs at 1280 by 768 resolution. 1 gig of ram (my upgrade), 1 ghz
    pentium M processor. Which is good enough for Web design and light graphics work. And plenty
    of wifi internet use. When I'm at my desk, I hook it up to a Samsung 173P ext. LCD (1280 by
    1024 res.), and USB keyboard.

    When I'm on the road, I hardly know it's there. It's about the size of a hard cover book.

    After lugging around an Inspiron 8200 (8lbs.) you'd have to pry the TR3A from my cold dead
    hands.

    So far the quality has held up through a driving trip from Maryland to Minnesota and a plane
    trip to Boston. It rarely sits on my desk. I'm always hauling it around.

    Jim, Aug 19, 2004
  20. Michael

    Michael Guest

    [snip]

    I'm sure no one cares, but thanks in part to the feedback from this
    newsgroup, I settled on the IBM ThinkPad X40.

    Thanks guys!

    Michael

    Michael, Aug 25, 2004