    Any ideas?? (I think the Toshiba Libretto's screen might be too small, but
    I'm looking at that, too). I've tried the WindowsCE HP 690lx, but that is
    just too inconvenient.

    Marty S., Dec 3, 2003

  2. Marty S.

    Vincent Fox Guest

    I have a ThinkPad 240 that I got off EBay I think is really nice.
    It's a Celeron 300 but more than adequate for my lightweight needs, and
    at about 3 pounds very portable. One thing about the ThinkPad 240 is the
    800x600 screen at 10 inches is at about my boundary for eyestrain.
    If I have it across my knees while lying down it's too far to see
    the text, have to have it a bit closer.

    I have debated about the Fujitsu LifeBook like the B142. They
    look awesome. But I worry also about the small screen. Although the
    touchscreen is about enough to win me over.

    Get a USB "keychain" flash drive, I use this for all my data needs
    now when network not available.

    Vincent Fox, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Marty S. () wrote:
    with editing...
    : Hi... I'm looking for a replacement for my Omnibook 800ct (166mmx, 9.4"
    : screen, 48mb RAM) -- something that is fairly small and portable to carry
    : around in a backpack or briefcase for school.

    : I'm looking for something that is inexpensive so I don't mind older
    : technology and that has a CPU between 400mhz and 650mhz, and will run fairly

    The JVC Victor Interlink is the best mini-laptop available at present.
    Not sure whether it's available in the US.
    There are many Japanese and Korean language students here in my village,
    and so I see these things every time I go into the public library.
    The price in Victoria is about $1500Can, so that would be $1100+US.
    But it is a full-function system that can double as a home system
    yet still fit in a coat pocket.

    Regards. RAF

    Roy A. Fletcher, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Marty S.

    someone Guest

    fujitsu p series. it is lightly wider than a libretto but thinner too. when
    they refused to sell librettos over here, that's what I went with. it uses
    a crusoe cpu, that should meet your criteria. cdd and fdd are external.
    built-in modem and ethernet ports. battery life up to 9hrs, though I
    average between 4-7 hours. it is a true win xp home machine. made in japan.

    there is one irritating thing. the function key is on the left side of the
    keyboard. if you had used the libretto, it was just next to the arrow keys
    so you can easily access the page up/down functions. now you need to use 2
    hands.

    someone, Dec 4, 2003
  5. Marty S.

    WiScottsin Guest

    Older IBM t-series. Pretty small, light - nice screen. I picked up a t20
    with PIII700/12gb/128mb/DVD for about $475 on ebay. I added another 128mb
    and it runs WIN2K just fine. NOTE: The older T20 series only use PC100
    sodimms which is getting a little pricey ( PC133/100 won't work)

    WiScottsin, Dec 4, 2003
  6. Marty S.

    Phil Guest

    Using an Averatec 3150 which I got a good deal on at a Staples ($699).
    Small and pretty capable -- DVD player and burns CD-Rs, 30 GB HDD, AMD
    chip, 12": screen. I like it.

    Phil

    Phil, Dec 4, 2003
  7. Marty S.

    Quaoar Guest

    Take a look at the Averatec (formerly Sotec) 3150 series of 12-inch
    laptops. These are not exceptionally small, but weigh in at about 3 lbs
    with a light weight power adapter. A good, but not outstanding TFT,
    only 256MB RAM, but with 4 slots (!), 40MB Travelstar drive (4200 rpm),
    AMD 1600+ M processor, 3 USB 2 ports, keyboard is small and a little
    cramped for my fat fingers, but my wife loves it for the carrying
    weight. These will are not for gaming, but are more than adequate for
    Office XP, Powerpoint, etc. Very cool and quiet machine. Price is
    right at about $900 USD.

    Quaoar, Dec 4, 2003
  8. Marty S.

    M W Guest

    How about an Omnibook 900? Small, thinner than the 800ct, PIII processor
    with USB and wsk compatible.

    M W, Dec 5, 2003
  9. Marty S.

    og Guest

    I just upgraded from a toshiba 3110CT PII300 running WinXP to a
    toshiba 3480CT I got it for $400 PIII 600MHZ run WinXP well. About
    2.5lbs

    og, Dec 6, 2003
  10. Marty S.

    David Chien Guest

    Toshiba Libretto 110 - just good enough to run W2K for basic office use.

    Toshiba L1 through L5 series - bigger screens, Crusoe CPU, Japanese-only
    models (but you can get them on www.ebay.com and through www.conics.net)

    Sony U-series. www.conics.net can get them. Smaller than Libretto 110
    series, even lighter and more compact.

    Fujitsu P1000, P2000 series. Former is touch-screen CD-less, lighter
    model; latter is larger, CD built in model.

    Casio Fiva

    Latest Sony PCG-X505 series at www.vaio.sony.co.jp. Expensive as heck
    due to carbon fibre casing, but super light at <825gr, 1Ghz P-M, 10.4"
    screen. Think 9.7mm thick and super-light.

    Latest JVC Interlink XP73xx series
    http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/interlink/xp/index.html
    (get www.conics.net or dynamism.com to import)
    8.9" screen, Libretto sized, fast 1Ghz P-M CPU, super-portable. 905gr,
    think hardback book.

    Latest Fujitsu P5000 series. www.fujitsupc.com

    Acer Travelmate C1xx series convertable Tablet PCs.
    $900+ www.ebay.com
    These babies are 3lbs light, will run DOS to XP, and are actually quite
    nice for college use - take notes in the tablet mode with the pen, type
    like a regular laptop in the keyboard mode. Think, Omnibook upgraded to
    faster processor, brighter screen, lighter, and about the same size.

    David Chien, Dec 8, 2003
  11. Marty S.

    someone Guest

    you sir, are my new idol. which one has the longest battery life?

    someone, Dec 11, 2003