small utility to merge selected data from two hex files

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Tom Torfs, Aug 23, 2007.

  1. Tom Torfs

    Tom Torfs Guest

    All,

    I wrote a small tool for my own use, which some of you may find useful
    also. It allows to merge selected address ranges from two Intel hex
    files into a new hex file (currently limited to 64KB hex files).

    I use it to copy calibration information in flash (which is stored at
    a known location) from an existing hex file into a newly compiled hex
    file where the calibration information is still blank, using this
    command:

    hexmerge firmware-nocal.hex 0:FFFF calibration.hex F000:FFE0
    firmware.hex

    Program and source can be downloaded from: http://cprog.tomsweb.net/embedded.html
    (hexmerge utility).

    greetings,
    Tom

    Tom Torfs, Aug 23, 2007

  2. Not wanting to rain on your parade, but why not just concatenate the two
    files?

    Everett M. Greene, Aug 24, 2007

  3. Hi Tom,

    You may also find this of interest.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/srecord

    David T. Ashley, Aug 24, 2007
  4. Tom Torfs

    Dave Hansen Guest

    On Aug 23, 10:24 pm, -pacwest.com (Everett M.
    Greene) wrote:
    [...]
    To answer literally, because then you'd wind up with an EOF record in
    the middle of your file. But that's easy to fix.

    Another problem is that the second file may overwrite values specified
    in the first. That sometimes causes problems with tools designed to
    read hex files. I'm thinking of a particular EPROM programmer I used
    in the past that would write the hex records to the EPROM in order.
    If the first file sets a location to 0x05, and the second tries to set
    it to 0x55, it's not pretty.

    Regards,

    Dave Hansen, Aug 24, 2007