SmartUSB56 modem crashes system while online

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Andreas Mitsis, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I am having a problem with a USB device which is using SmartLink's
    SmartUSB56 modem chipset (http://www.smlink.com):

    Product : devolo Microlink 56k Fun USB
    Driver Version : 3.20.04W (supplied 3.04.00DE)
    Operating System : Windows 2000 Professional SP4

    Hardware I use most of the time:

    ASUS P5A-B Mainboard (ALi Aladdin V AGP System)
    AMD K6-III 450 Mhz, 512MB RAM
    ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    Memory range: D6800000-D6800FFF
    IRQ: 09

    ALi IDE and AGP drivers in use

    ALi IDE driver v.1.41
    ALi AGP driver v.1.9 (WHQL certified)

    Systems Southbridge

    ALi M1533 PCI to ISA bridge, ALi 7101 APM controller

    Systems Northbridge

    ALi M1541 CPU to PCI bridge, PCI to AGP controller

    The system crashes during an online session with a BSOD:

    *** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000000D, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xBEC61C5D)
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    *** Address B95C9C5D base at B95B9000 DateStamp 3d6dbc94 - slnt7554.sys

    I did a short analysis of the Minidump with dumpchk.exe:

    **
    ** Windows 2000 Crash Dump Analysis
    **
    *
    Filename . . . . . . .mini.dmp
    Signature. . . . . . .PAGE
    ValidDump. . . . . . .DUMP
    MajorVersion . . . . .free system
    MinorVersion . . . . .2195
    DirectoryTableBase . .0x1f148000
    PfnDataBase. . . . . .0x820da000
    PsLoadedModuleList . .0x8046e1b8
    PsActiveProcessHead. .0x8046e460
    MachineImageType . . .i386
    NumberProcessors . . .1
    BugCheckCode . . . . .0x000000d1
    BugCheckParameter1 . .0x0000000d
    BugCheckParameter2 . .0x00000002
    BugCheckParameter3 . .0x00000000
    BugCheckParameter4 . .0xbec61c5d

    ExceptionCode. . . . .0x80000003
    ExceptionFlags . . . .0x00000001
    ExceptionAddress . . .0x80468b6f

    Because of the problem I took another run by flashing the latest BIOS:

    ASUS P5A-B ACPI BIOS Revision 1011 Beta 005
    (05/02/2002-ALADDIN5-P5A-B)

    Bios settings

    - SDRAM Config : default (by SPD)
    - APM : disabled
    - PCI IRQs : auto
    - USB Function : enabled
    - USB IRQ : auto

    Downloaded an up-to-date driver for the modem from SmartLink's Website:

    0. Removed the USB modem and unplugged it.
    1. Deinstalled the SmartUSB56 driver (Add/Remove Programs).
    2. Removed the USB root hub.
    3. Removed the USB host controller.

    After a clean restart the USB host was detected properly. Installed the new
    driver and was bootstrapping the computer into Safe Mode

    No multiple entries were found in the Device Manager
    No IRQ Sharing of devices

    Then again, I boot the system into Normal Mode. However, I've been out of
    luck. Anytime I go online with this device the system still crashes sooner
    or later >:-( There are no patches for this USB host other than those
    issued by Microsoft. Any thought would be very much appreciated.

    TIA,
    andreas

    Andreas Mitsis, Oct 16, 2003