SMBIOS on AX4PER reports more RAM than there is

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by DaveE, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. DaveE

    DaveE Guest

    hi,

    I have an AOpen AX4PER motherboard, BIOS revision R1.01, with two 256MB
    DIMMs occupying the first two memory slots. The third slot is empty.

    Windows XP System Information tool reports that I have 4608MB total physical
    memory. The system checker program at www.pcpitstop.com also reports the
    same amount. I tried their SMBIOS tool and it reports the following for the
    memory slots on the motherboard:

    == Memory Controller (type 5, handle 0005, length 22) ==
    Error Detecting Method = None
    Error Correcting Capability = |None|
    Supported Interleave = 1-Way
    Current Interleave = 1-Way
    Max Memory Module Size = 1024 MB
    Supported Speeds = |Other|
    Supported Memory Types = |Other|
    Memory Module Voltage = Supports 3.3V
    Associated Memory Slots = 3

    == Memory Module (type 6, handle 0006, length 12) ==
    Socket Designation = A0
    Bank Connections = RAS 0, RAS 1
    Current Speed (ns) = 0
    Current Memory Type = |Other|
    Installed Size = 256 MB, Single Bank
    Enabled Size = 256 MB, Single Bank
    Error Status = 00

    == Memory Module (type 6, handle 0007, length 12) ==
    Socket Designation = A2
    Bank Connections = RAS 2, RAS 3
    Current Speed (ns) = 0
    Current Memory Type = |Other|
    Installed Size = 256 MB, Single Bank
    Enabled Size = 256 MB, Single Bank
    Error Status = 00

    == Memory Module (type 6, handle 0008, length 12) ==
    Socket Designation = A4
    Bank Connections = RAS 4, RAS 5
    Current Speed (ns) = 0
    Current Memory Type = |Other|ECC|
    Installed Size = 4096 MB, Single Bank
    Enabled Size = 4096 MB, Single Bank
    Error Status = 00

    Does anyone have any idea why it is reporting a 4096MB memory module in the
    third slot when that slot is empty, and will this be causing problems with
    my PC?

    TIA
    Dave

    DaveE, Jul 13, 2003

  2. DaveE

    DaveE Guest

    OK, I am replying to my own post here.

    I have flashed the BIOS with R1.04 from the AOpen website and the RAM is
    still reported incorrectly, although I have found that the AOConfig program
    does report the correct amount of RAM.

    Any ideas what is wrong with SMBIOS and Windows system information tool?

    Dave

    DaveE, Jul 18, 2003