    don't smoke, and in fact I hate the smoke odor so much.

    Can someone help me with this problem? I don't want the laptop soaked
    with febreze :D

    blablablah, Sep 26, 2005

  2. blablablah

    Don Schmidt Guest

    Contact your insurance agent to ask him/her who does smoke damage in homes
    after a fire. Ask the smoke damage cleaners for advice.

    Don Schmidt, Sep 26, 2005

  3. blablablah

    Guest Guest

    Buy a cheap box of baking soda. Put the laptop and everything you got with
    it in a trash bag. Put the open baking soda box in the same bag. Seal the
    bag well. Odor should be gone in 3 to 7 days and not smell like Febreze.
    Even with the odor gone, cigarette residue isn't good for electronics...
    especially sensitive ones like laptops. If it's really bad and the Ebay
    seller didn't mention it, I'd be contacting them and considering a refund.

    Guest, Sep 26, 2005
  4. Clean what you can externally with Windex or lighter fluid (don't use
    lighter fluid on the LCD screen, and even Windex should not really be
    used but very occasional use is ok and in this case, you might find the
    cloth coming off the screen dark yellow-brown). (You must use a VERY
    soft cloth ... a rough cloth, or paper towels, will scratch the screen
    and leave "swirl marks").

    Other than that, time and exposure to air .....

    Barry Watzman, Sep 27, 2005
  5. Are you sure that the laptop is not smoke damaged stock?

    The Electric Fan Club, Sep 27, 2005
  6. blablablah

    Andrew Guest

    It's not burnt. It just stinks. Some heavy smoker ruined a beutiful
    laptop. It's running perfectly fine with bad smell. I'm gonna try
    baking powder first, then try some compressed air cleaner.

    Thanks for help guys. Any other great ideas?

    Andrew, Sep 27, 2005
  7. blablablah

    Notan Guest

    Fresh air, the outdoor variety.

    Be careful with compressed air... As rugged as laptops can be,
    a shot of compressed air, in the wrong spot, can spell disaster.

    Notan

    Notan, Sep 27, 2005
  8. blablablah

    Kenneth Wolf Guest

    If you give up on the Fujitsu, let me know and we might be able to work out
    a deal. I'm looking for one.

    Kenneth Wolf, Sep 28, 2005
  9. blablablah

    Anne Guest

    I use a small dish filled with amonia (the clear kind you clean with) to
    clear out a room overnight when smokers have been there. Perhaps you can
    try the same thing for the computer in an enclosed box or closet . Just
    make sure the liquid is not next to the computer to avoid any spill
    problems.
    Anne

    Anne, Sep 28, 2005
  10. Smoke can be really hard to get rid of, though it will eventually
    dissipate (it's already getting rid of the smoke odor by offgassing
    into your room, which is why you can smell it). My wife's CPAP
    machine took weeks to get back to 'normal' after a weekend in a heavy
    smoker's house.

    Ammonia is supposed to be really bad for LCD screen plastics, FWIW.
    I'd try cleaning the exterior, maybe some partial disassembly, forced
    ventilation (blow a fan on it), and maybe ozone or something, though
    ozone is hard to come by and might damage plastics and such at high
    concentrations or long exposures.

    Fema sez pressure washing works! 8*)
    http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=3836

    Google for smoke odor removal or some such

    William P. N. Smith, Sep 28, 2005
  11. Febreze is petrochemical shit. Do not use it on anything, period.

    What you need to an enzyme-based deodorizer.
    The easiest place to find one is at a pet shop, or
    a health food store.

    harddrivecleaner, Sep 28, 2005
  12. blablablah

    Notan Guest

    I've always gotten a kick out of the pine fresheners, that one
    finds in public restrooms.

    They just make it smell like somebody shit in the woods! <g>

    Notan

    Notan, Sep 28, 2005