sn41g flashed the Bios and now it is dead

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by John Smith, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Now I am completely stumped.

    Here is what I have done,
    I patched the Windows SP2, and rebooted,
    then flashed the bios, using win flash. according to winflash everything was
    all set and told me to reboot
    then nothing (powers on, and If I hold the swith it will shut off)
    I jumper reset the bios powered on and again nothing
    removed the video card , jumper reset bios power on.
    nothing
    disconnected drives power on nothing.
    -----> Ordered new bios from badflash, poped it in with out installing any
    of the above.
    agian nothing.
    At this point I was wondering if the CPU was some how gone,
    Swapped with another system and it works there, and I place the other cpu in
    the Shuttle and nothing

    I have an sn41g that I bought in April of 2003 so cannot be version 3( not
    released)
    Beside I know that the Bios version in there was FN41S015
    I wrote it down.

    I think it should be pointed out ,It stoped working before I took it apart.

    Any Ideas?
    What could i have killed my great little shuttle Box?

    John Smith, Sep 17, 2004

  2. John Smith

    Conor Guest

    Sadly, user stupidity.

    There is absolutely no reason on Gods earth to update a BIOS unless it
    fixes a bug you are experiencing or adds functionality you are going to
    want.

    Conor, Sep 17, 2004

  3. John Smith

    David Jones Guest

    I have over 25 years experience on micros(before the PC) and the user was
    not stupid. That was your opinion and not useful.

    Try using the Windows Safe mode boot and then the recovery console. Try
    booting in VGA mode. Try unplugging the power supply cord, then rebooting.
    The Shuttle bios's are a bit flakey sometimes.....

    David Jones, Sep 17, 2004
  4. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    thank you atleast a constructive reply,
    but there is nothing. by that I mean it is not even posting
    it is not even waking the display
  5. John Smith

    Eric Parker Guest

    John

    I seem to remember that when I had to clear the bios I had to :
    1. Power off (disconnect lead).
    2. Short jumper.
    3. Replace jumper.
    4. Power on with insert key pressed.

    Probably just another straw to clutch at, but no great loss.

    eric

    Eric Parker, Sep 17, 2004
  6. John Smith

    Conor Guest

    Its dead. Unless you can pull the BIOS chip and get a replacement from
    badflash.com then its a new board time. There's alot of Shuttle boards
    that turn up on E-Bay for not alot of money so you could possibly
    upgrade to a 45G one.

    Point to note for next time:

    Flashing a BIOS from within Windows is generally considered A VERY BAD
    THING.

    Conor, Sep 17, 2004
  7. John Smith

    Conor Guest

    1) is the most important to remember as the computer isn't fully off
    when mains power is still on so the mobo still gets juice and keeps the
    CMOS settings.

    Conor, Sep 17, 2004
  8. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Hmm In my orginal Post I did say I got a Bios from Bad Flash.
    and that didn't seem to do the trick

    John Smith, Sep 17, 2004
  9. Whereas a co-worker has had no problems using winflash but when he tried the
    DOS method he destroyed the flash and had to buy a replacement.

    Stephen Harris, Sep 17, 2004
  10. John Smith

    Conor Guest

    Not suprised. Hardly anyone who's not been into IT from a technical
    point of view for at least 13 years or is an avid *nix user has
    problems with CLI.

    Conor, Sep 17, 2004
  11. John Smith

    logized Guest

    Also, when shorting the reset jumper to pins 2-3 it is a good idea to leave
    it in that position for several seconds to ensure that any capacitors in the
    supply to the cmos are fully discharged before returning it to normal pins
    1-2.

    Dave

    logized, Sep 17, 2004
  12. John Smith

    David Jones Guest

    You probably know this but I will say it anyway. The power supply needs a
    load other than the motherboard to operate correctly. Keep you hard drive
    connected. Try booting from a DOS diskette. If it boots, then it might be
    a windoze problem.... or a boot/disk/partition problem. Do you get any
    lights on leds or any messages on the screen? Remove your memory and
    re-seat it. Over time, they sometimes work themselves loose. Maybe even
    try re-seating the CPU..... let us know.

    David Jones, Sep 18, 2004
  13. John Smith

    SimonG Ltd. Guest

    I seem to remember that the clear CMOS jumper doesn't work . . . you have to
    hold the Insert key on your motherboard while you power on. There is also
    information about "Rescue steps" on the Shuttle website, its a little hard
    to find, let me know if you can't find it.

    regards, Simon

    SimonG Ltd., Oct 14, 2004