SN41G2 and asynchronous memory - how high have you gone?

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Venger, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. Venger

    Venger Guest

    Gentlemen -

    Have a couple of these systems in to throw at the kids, and am just getting
    into their architecture. I personally run a dual Athlon MP system on a K7D,
    these systems are designed for light to medium gaming with the kids. It
    looked like the onboard video could approach GF2 speeds, which is good
    enough for 800x600 in nearly all gaming endeavors they pursue.

    Anyways, playing around with the thing, I discover that the memory can run
    asynchronously from the CPU FSB. Which normally wouldn't do a whole hell of
    alot - the CPU accesses the memory as fast as it can, and the rest is just
    unusable potential. But in this system, with the integrated video sharing
    the RAM subsystem, it became apparent this could be exploited to get the
    most out of the on board GF4MX.

    I will be running initially XP1700's in each of these (they were in my
    system until I upgraded to Barton MP 3000's) with a 133FSB, little to zero
    overclocking.

    How much asynchronous differential have you seen available on this board,
    and how did it affect video benchmarks? I have to imagine that fill rate is
    the big one here, at 266Mhz that's just not very damn fast for a video card.
    But, if I can run the RAM at 400Mhz, now that's pretty decent. Just testing
    on one of the kids GF2Pros, it dropped almost 40% of it's fill rate going
    from 450Mhz down to 266Mhz, so I have to imagine that will be a notable
    improvement, if it works.

    Anyone with information on this before I swing for the fences this weekend?

    Thanks,

    Venger

    Venger, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Venger

    jF Guest

    I built a multiprocessor system one time.. After discovering what a
    huge waste of money it was, I bought another motherboard and split it
    into two... Every single program that I ran that claimed
    multiprocessor support did a piss-poor job of it. The only thing i've
    heard of (as far as workstation software) that really does a good job
    at utilizing mp systems was one of the ray-tracing programs..

    jF

    jF, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Venger

    ian mayo Guest

    Yes, but isn't it a significant improvement of having MP that you can run
    two single-threaded programs at once? Such as continuing with word
    processing or e-mail handling whilst running a large software compilation,
    virus check or backup?

    Ian

    ian mayo, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Venger

    Venger Guest

    Well, I wasn't really wanting to talk about the SMP system - that's just my
    system. Having run SMP for years now, I'd never go back.

    I'll be posting an large article on the SN41G2 and how having both DIMM
    slots filled with as fast as you can buy memory makes the onboard video
    change from barely usable to quite speedy - just a taste - going from a
    single PC2100 stick clocked at 266 to two PC3200 sticks UNDERCLOCKED at
    360MHz made frame rates on 3DMark2001 go from 31.4fps to 80.2fps. That's
    from barely watchable to very playable.

    More to come...

    Venger

    Venger, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Venger

    eric Guest

    At 266mhz (sync) I had a 3dmark2001 score of around 4900.
    Right now Im running at 350mhz (sync) with a score of over 5200 (the
    real deal Geforce4MX gets around 5400-5500).

    Memory is at Cas2.5-2-3-6, CPU is at 175*12=2100mhz. System is
    somewhat unstable with a low fanspeed despite the CPU hovering around
    38C (lapped heatsink). Most likely power supply overheating as
    Prime95 has no problems in torture-test. System fan replaced with
    Vantec Tornado & rheostat. 40mm fan added to front of power supply,
    solved the instability issues, but I have to keep the system fan on
    medium to keep it rock solid stable during encoding/games.

    -eric

    eric, Sep 3, 2003
  6. Venger

    eric Guest

    I have a dual P3-500 and its really great. Nothin like doin a kernel
    compile with 'make -j2'. I wrote a multi-threaded raycaster for
    school, and it took 1/3 the time with two threads running (as opposed
    to a single thread). Has something to do with the fact that one of
    the CPUs will prefetch memory into the cache of both CPUs. So a small
    simple program running in two threads can give you more then twice the
    power in dual processor mode. Dual processor really shines when you
    run VMs as well, although a single 1.5ghz processor would run it
    somewhat nicer then two 500mhz processors.

    eric, Sep 4, 2003
  7. Venger

    ian mayo Guest

    To be honest Eric, I was considering two 2.4Ghz + processors (or even a
    couple of the new 64bit athlons!)

    Thanks for the +ve advice,
    Ian

    ian mayo, Sep 5, 2003
  8. Venger

    Venger Guest

    Go dual Athlon - the price is so much more aggresive. Even if you get
    regular Barton core Athlons.

    Venger

    Venger, Sep 5, 2003