SN41G2 and integrate video - the proof is in the pudding...

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Venger, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Venger

    Venger Guest

    I normally hate doing HTML but this was the only way to easily move my chart out of word.

    Basically, if you have an SN41G2 and are using the onboard video, you MUST use 2 DIMMs instead of one. Even two slower DIMMs are faster than a single fast DIMM. Of course, 2 fast DIMMs are the way to go, but even dual PC2700 will kick the snot out of a single piece of fast RAM.

    The table below says it all:

    CPU XP-1700+ 266 FSB
    256MB

    PC2100 @ 266Mhz

    1-DIMM
    512MB

    PC3500 @400Mhz

    1-DIMM
    512MB

    PC3200 @360Mhz

    2-DIMM

    Sandra 2001
    699/752
    895/977
    1038/1126

    3dMark2000

    Helicopter - medium
    55.2
    82.0
    103

    Adventure - medium
    61.7
    89.5
    106

    Fill rate - single texture

    Fill rate - multi texture

    Polygon - 4 light

    Polygon - 8 light

    3dMark2001

    Car Chase - Low
    35.2
    52.8
    80.6

    Dragothic - Low
    31.6
    48.5
    78.5

    Lobby - Low
    31.4
    49.3
    80.2

    Fill Rate - single texture

    Fill Rate - multi texture

    Look at the big jump in 3dMark2001. From barely watchable at about 30fps to very playable at 80fps. That's a what, 160% increase just by having two sticks of faster RAM...

    The moral of the story - you MUST use two sticks of RAM if you want anything approaching playable graphics on the integrate GF4MX on this system...

    Also - this system is VERY hard on RAM. I tried Kingston and Crucial RAM, at speeds of PC2100, 3200, and 3500, and only the PC2100 would run at rated speed with decent timings (no higher than 3-3-3). The 3500 would top out around 400+MHz, and the 3200 around maybe 380MHz or so. So those of you with stability problems on this board, get RAM that has ALOT of headroom.

    Venger

    Venger, Sep 5, 2003