SN45GV2 - will POST, won't POST

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Chris Davies, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Hi All
    I just got the above as a barebone system with a 3200 400 fsb cpu and
    matching memory installed by the vendor. I have added the hard drive,
    the floppy and the cd.
    9 times out of 10 the thing will not POST - it hunts the cd rom as the
    first boot device and then dies - leaving the power light on and
    (strangely) the hard drive led on (though no noise from the hard
    drive). If I leave it a random amount of time (but quite long, say 24
    hours) then it will POST once. I used this today and successfully
    went through a full windows installation - including a number of
    software soft resets - with no problem. The thing worked flawlessly
    for 2 hours or so. Then I turned it off (from windows). Half an hour
    later I turned it back on - back to the no POST problem. In the
    interim I hadn't touched the thing - aside from pressing the power on
    button.
    Any help much appreciated - a search of this board showed one other
    with an issue like mine, but no answer. So very grateful if someone
    can give me a clue.
    Many thanks
    Chris

    Chris Davies, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Chris Davies

    Jan Hladik Guest

    Could it be your computer is consuming too much energy? Try
    disconnecting stuff you don't need (cdrom, floppy).

    Hope this helps,

    Jan

    Jan Hladik, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Thanks Jan
    I will try that - but since I only have a graphics card, a single hdd,
    a cd and a floppy attached, it would seem unlikely. It is working at
    the moment, but once it dies I will try.
    One other thing I forgot to mention - sometimes when it does POST (but
    not always) I get a message along the lines
    "Warning! Now system is in safe mode
    Please re-setting CPU or memory ratio frequency in CMOS setup"
    I should add that I have not changed the set up provided by the vendor
    -which looks right to me.
    Chris

    Chris Davies, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Chris Davies

    Jan Hladik Guest

    OK, this is just wild guessing now: Could it be that the CPU overheats
    and switches itself off? In other words, did you connect the heatpipe
    and the (don't know the proper term) heat paste properly?

    Is the mainboard power connector properly attached?

    Otherwise, it could be a problem with the power supply itself. Do you
    have a spare one you can use for testing?

    Bye,

    Jan

    Jan Hladik, Aug 12, 2004
  6. Chris Davies

    D R Tester Guest

    Have you checked the over temperature light situated on the motherboard...
    Dom

    D R Tester, Aug 12, 2004