  1. I'll save the freight charges and ship you a system 9 desktop printer
    instead!

    Coming up, sir!

    John Steinberg, Aug 29, 2009

  2. I don't know why you can't configure a LPR PS printer. I had no trouble
    setting a LaserWriter 12/640PS up using LPR on Leopard. (I have not
    recieved Snow Leopard yet.)

    Of course, the printer needs to be on the same subnet as the Mac.

    Niels Jørgen Kruse, Aug 29, 2009

  3. It's quite possible that I'm an idiot. Indeed, some would say likely,
    and they could make a great case.

    However, the three available protocol options that I see in SL are LPD,
    IPP, and HP-Jetdirect socket.

    If you have some thoughts as to how I might make my printer work using
    LPR, I'm all eyes.

    For the moment, I'm using printer sharing on a networked OS X 10.5
    machine and/or saving as PDF and again printing from another networked
    machine, but if you have some alternative idea whereby I can print
    directly to the 16/600PS directly from 10.6, don't be a stranger.

    John Steinberg, Aug 29, 2009
  4. Sorry, that should have been LPD. Must have mixed it up with the lpr
    command.

    What is the IP address of your printer and what is the IP address of
    your Snow Leopard machine?

    I presume your network is behind a NAT router?

    Niels Jørgen Kruse, Aug 29, 2009

  5. At least one person was able to make my configuration work.

    See:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10070985&tstart=0

    And s/he did precisely what I've tried -- several times--- but they got
    + results.

    I'll do some additional troubleshooting, but now I wonder if it isn't
    the router or ethernet switch that's creating the problem?

    Blarghhh!

    Yes, I have the IP address of the printer and the iMac seems to see it
    on the network but there's a glitch somewhere in the chain.

    Thanks.

    John Steinberg, Aug 29, 2009
  6. John Steinberg

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Could be worse. I recently killed a one-hour SQL Server install
    several times before I figured out that the "progress bar" indicates
    what percent of the last thirty seconds has completed. :)

    Wes Groleau, Aug 30, 2009
  7. John Steinberg

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Me ? Microsoft's worse O.S. ever ?

    Or Apple's corny new name for dot-Mac ?

    They went from sounding like dot-Net
    to sounding like something worse.

    :)

    --
    Wes Groleau

    "If it wasn't for that blasted back-hoe,
    a hundred of us could be working with shovels"
    "Yeah, and if it weren't for our shovels,
    a thousand of us could be working with spoons."

    Wes Groleau, Aug 30, 2009
  8. Thomas R. Kettler, Aug 30, 2009
  9. I remember seeing the glasses as two small O's -- after all, they were the same
    color as the B's -- so I always thought of it as "Microsoft Boob".

    Wayne C. Morris, Aug 30, 2009
  10. If you have only ever used the printer over Appletalk, it is unlikely to
    have an IP address that is compatible with your network.

    However, if you refuse to provide technical details, you are on your
    own. Bye.

    Niels Jørgen Kruse, Aug 30, 2009
  11. OK, did not know this.
    The IP address of my printer is 130.91.82.202 and it's 192.168.1.100
    for the iMac.

    Try not to get all impatient with we idiots. Thanks for any guidance.

    John Steinberg, Aug 30, 2009
  12. John Steinberg

    David Empson Guest

    I don't know where your printer got that IP address - it is a public
    one. Possibly configured on someone else's network originally?

    You'll need to change it to something in the 192.168.1.x range which is
    not being used by anything else on your network. I don't know how you
    configure the IP settings on an Apple LaserWriter 16/600PS but I assume
    it has a front panel user interface with a menu. (That is how you would
    do it on an HP LaserJet 4, 5, etc., which has built-in Ethernet.)

    Ideally, you should configure the DHCP server in your router to give out
    a limited range of addresses within 192.168.1.x (e.g. up to 100 but no
    higher), and then use the remaining addresses for static assignments to
    devices like priners.

    Alternatively, reverse the range and use the high numbers for dynamic
    allocation and the low numbers for static.

    The key point is that everything on the network must have an IP address
    with the same first three numbers (192.168.1) and a different last
    number. Don't forget your router - it is probably 192.168.1.1, so you
    can't use 1 elsewhere.

    The last number can be anything in the range 1 to 254. (0 and 255 are
    special.)

    (This all assumes you are using the most common subnet mask of
    255.255.255.0.)

    The printer must also be configured with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0,
    and it should be configured to use your router as its gateway, but that
    is only relevant if you want to access your printer from the Internet
    and have set up your router to enable that.

    If you want to explicitly block Internet access to your printer, set its
    gateway to 0.0.0.0.

    David Empson, Aug 30, 2009
  13. That combination seems unlikely to work. The iMac one is a typical NAT
    address, but I don't know where the printer one came from. It probably
    ought to also have some 192.168.1.??? address.

    Richard Maine, Aug 30, 2009
  14. That combination seems unlikely to work. The iMac one is a typical NAT
    address, but I don't know where the printer one came from. It probably
    ought to also have some 192.168.1.??? address.[/QUOTE]

    130.91.82.202 is assigned to the University of Pennsylvania.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 30, 2009
  15. No panel at all. I did find this, though:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TA34819?viewlocale=en_US
    But it made my eyeballs roll back into my head.

    Excellent info! Thanks so much. At least I know what I have to do to
    make it work now. Whether I'll be able to do so may be another story,
    but I'll post any + results if I do.

    Thanks again!

    John Steinberg, Aug 30, 2009
  16. I am so in love with you that I could burst! I got it to work courtesy
    of your invaluable advice!

    Here's what I did.

    First I had to find Apple Printer Utility, which I did here:
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/406

    I then booted an older Mac on the network that was running OS X but
    being a G4, I was able to boot into OS 9.2.

    (Yeah! OS 9 is still relevant, at least for me.)

    From there, I install and launch Apple Printer Utility and then changed
    the IP of the LaserWriter as you advised. Send that updated info to
    the printer, close out of that app. Now over to the Snow Leopard iMac,
    I do as detailed here:

    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10070985&tstart=0

    And bingo, it works. And does so with every Mac on the network,
    whether in OS 9 or some flavor of OS X.

    If you were a hot chick, I would so be dry humping your leg right now!

    Thank you so much, and thanks also to everyone else who hung with me on
    this issue.

    Another links of relevance:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

    Also, if anyone knows, I would dearly love to know how this could be
    accomplished in Snow Leopard or some other flavor of OS X, directly, if
    possible.

    Now I have my printer back on this machine and soon a new engraved iPod
    nano to go with it. : )

    John Steinberg, Aug 30, 2009
  17. Eh, I'm getting bounces from the address in your sig, David.

    Is "dawt" Aghwan for something other than dot?

    Tried again. No bounce -- yet.

    John Steinberg, Aug 30, 2009
  18. John Steinberg

    JF Mezei Guest

    Fpor the Imac to talk to the printer via IP, they will need to be both
    in the same subnet, or you need to use your router to route between both.

    Basically, you need to tell your router that 130.91.81.* exists on the
    same interface as 192.168.*.* so that the router knows how to reach your
    printer. Your Imac will think this printer is on the internet and send
    it to the router.

    If you think you can reconfigure your router, then you can set your iMac
    to have a static IP of 130.91.82.200 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 at
    which point it would be able to talk to the printer locally. But this IP
    address is not "legal" in a LAN because it belongs to University of
    Pennsylvania. ("belong" is technically inaccurate, it was assigned to them).

    JF Mezei, Aug 30, 2009

  19. That's a good twist on what I did do, which was to change the printer's
    IP via OS 9 and an Apple utility called Apple Printer Utility.

    Some may wonder why I didn't try and first do this via Classic, and the
    truthful answer is I just plain forgot to try that, but I'm launching
    Classic now on the subject Mac and we'll see if that can be done.

    But I like your process because this could all be done via Snow
    Leopard, although it's no exactly plug-n-play, and could be burning up
    a lot of tech support time at Apple. Truly, this class of printers do
    seem to have a rather long shelf life.

    Now, in Classic, via Apple Printer Utility ->Open
    Printer->Communications Configuration->TCP/IP Configuration ->Printer's
    IP Address does show and allow me to edit same.

    So, it does appear that this same process can be done in Classic.

    I'm just over the moon that these printers have not been junked by Snow
    Leopard.

    John Steinberg, Aug 30, 2009
  20. John Steinberg

    David Empson Guest

    A disadvantage of these methods is that you would be usurping the valid
    public IP address 130.91.82.202, and possibly a wider range of nearby
    addresses.

    If those addresses are being used by publically accessible computers for
    the organisation which has been assigned that IP address range
    (University of Pennsylvania), then you won't be able to access the real
    computers which are using those IP addresses, e.g. you might not be able
    to access all or part of UPenn's web site if they happen to be using
    that address for a web server.

    David Empson, Aug 31, 2009