  1. Nick Naym

    Nick Naym Guest

    Curious: What's the verdict so far?

    Nick Naym, Nov 11, 2009

  2. Nick Naym

    David Empson Guest

    Faster shutdown is the main one I noticed. Finder doesn't seem any
    better.
    That is a handy feature.

    Some other features I noticed which I like:

    - Dock Exposé.
    - Minimising windows into the application instead of the right end of
    the Dock.
    - Finder search results window has more customization of columns.
    - Ejecting disk which fails tells you which application is using it.
    - iCal has regained an "inspector".
    - More scanning support built into Image Capture and Preview.
    - More information in the Airport and Battery menus.

    Some I don't like:

    - Dropping support for creator codes. I haven't struck this in a big way
    but I expect it to be inconvenient.
    - Teething problems with printer drivers. Hopefully get better over
    time.
    - Not enough customization of Finder search results. I want Size!

    Some people might not like these:

    - AppleTalk is gone. (I have a workaround.)
    - File sharing with Mac OS 9 only possible with SL as the client, not
    the server. (Both ways were broken prior to 10.6.2.)

    Probably still a few "early bugs" which need to be sorted out. I have to
    test my Firewire DVD writer again with 10.6.2 - it wasn't quite working
    properly with 10.6 and 10.6.1 (only recognised as a burner if a readable
    disc was in the drive when it was connected to the computer).
    No.

    (I'm willing to accept it. The menus look weirdly different to
    everything else, though.)
    If your network configuration permits, you could have solved that by
    using Screen Sharing to the server and running the admin tools directly
    on the server.

    I'm having to do that (over the Internet) for some aspects of managing a
    10.5 server from 10.6. There are some bits of the 10.6 server admin
    tools which don't support 10.5 server.

    David Empson, Nov 11, 2009

  3. Nick Naym

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    It's been OK for me, I got it as a pre-order and I've not had any more
    stability issues than with any other previous upgrade to OS X. Indeed
    much less in the way of any real problems here.

    My only gripe is the mods they did to the Energy Saving preferences, and
    losing the presets in the battery menu item. It was quite handy to have
    a 'switch nothing off' setting for the times I do a battery refresh (my
    MacBook is left connected up most of the time).

    Apart from that, only one or two broken third party things, but nothing
    that was irreplacable (I did have a panic when CocoaBooklet stopped
    working, but CreateBooklet works just as well).

    Andy Hewitt, Nov 11, 2009
  4. Nick Naym

    Guest Guest

    Very pleased. The only reason I haven't upgraded both
    machines is the lack of a driver for my scanner. But on
    the machine I've upgraded, I'm very pleased. It's
    faster, the small tweaks to the UI are, IMO, nice
    improvements, and the upgraded Preview makes a big difference.
    (The new gamma setting is nice, but that's easy enough
    to change on Leopard, too)

    Guest, Nov 11, 2009
  5. I agree with you.

    Also, my Magic Mouse is even better with it too! No lag and speed is
    just not an issue.

    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 11, 2009
  6. Nick Naym

    JF Mezei Guest

    You like the way they changed the Dock's stack appearance ?

    JF Mezei, Nov 11, 2009
  7. Nick Naym

    Guest Guest

    I hate the fan and grid layouts - and I hated them in
    Leopard, too. I use List view and - yes - think they've
    been improved in SL. And they are *much* faster to display
    and navigate then they were before.

    Guest, Nov 11, 2009
  8. Nick Naym

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    [commenting on Snow Leopard]
    I'm one who likes the grid view with large icons. As for the dock itself, I
    use an applet, Docker, which allows me to change the appearance of the dock
    so that it is like the list view, albeit in a straight line of icons along
    the lower edge of the screen.

    TaliesinSoft, Nov 11, 2009
  9. I have SL on 2 Intel Macs, and Leopard on my iMac G5. I prefer SL, but
    don't have any problem using Leopard when I have to. the one problem I
    see in SL has to do with the Novell Netware client from Prosoft
    Engineering. Ever since I upgraded to SL, my aluminum iMac (mid 2007)
    isnt' able to downlaod files from network drives, or open them in the
    Finder. I can open these files in all programs I have tried, except, for
    some reason, Preview, and I can then save them on my local drive. I can
    also move files up to the network drives in the Finder, and copy files
    either way using Terminal.app. Very strange...

    David Fritzinger, Nov 12, 2009