Snow Leopard: What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports...?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by bartbrn, Dec 19, 2009.

  1. bartbrn

    bartbrn Guest

    I've been clunking along with two TiBooks running OS X 10.4.11 for the
    last several years, and have used Macs exclusively for 20 years. Not
    bragging; just setting up the question:

    I've just bought a 27" iMac pre-loaded with Snow Leopard. The screen
    is fantastic, the speed could hardly be improved upon for what I do,
    and the graphics -- even with the lesser 27" spec (3.06GHZ 4GB/1TB/SD/
    ATI4670, plus an external 1TB drive) -- are mind-boggling.

    What I can't figure out yet is Snow Leopard. While the all-singing/all-
    dancing 3D dock is excellent eye-candy, what I really want is to be
    able to see old-fashioned folder windows with windows and documents
    inside those windows so I can, for instance, drag and drop from one
    folder to another, or drop a file on the app I want to open it in. And
    where's the Startup Drive's folder? I feel like an idiot, but I can't
    figure out how to do this. Is there a site that explains how to
    perform such mundane tasks to us old geeze-bags who are still in shock
    from System 7?

    Even BIGGER question: I set up my iMac without using Set-Up Assistant,
    choosing to take care of all that later with Migration Assistant,as I
    have always done in the past. When I was ready, I ran Migration
    Assistant with my most up-to-date TiBook as the FireWire drive. All my
    apps, docs, and -- I assumed (yeah, I know) -- preferences got moved,
    but when the process was finished, neither Mail nor Thunderbird had
    connected with their preferences, and the same went for Safari and
    FireFox and I don't know what all, as at that point, I stopped and
    scratched my head for a long time, then wrote this.

    Any info, or direction to where I might FIND info, would be greatly
    and humbly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Bart

    bartbrn, Dec 19, 2009

  2. bartbrn

    JF Mezei Guest

    There is no figuring out needed. Marketing department at Apple took
    control and forced engineering to introduce glitz that will impress
    people during the annual MacWorld/WWDC keynote adress but hinder actual
    customers for years.

    Transparency is a nice technology, but it is abused on OS-X. It is OK to
    demo it, but not OK to make menus transparent for every day use.

    If you put the dock on left or right, you can have less glitz. And in
    dock preferences, you can turn off silly animations.

    For a folder, you need to click on it, at the bottom of the list, there
    is an "Option". You want a "list", and you want to display as Folder.

    This does not give you back all fo the functionality of the Tiger Dock,
    but it is the closest you can get. Again, marketing department winning
    over common sense.

    There is an option at the very bottom of the list to open that folder in
    the finder.

    The original OS "Apple Menu" was much better/faster to navigate.
    You need 2 operations; migrate applications, and migrate the user.
    Applications will move still un the Applications folder as well as in
    the /Library that is related to each application being moved. (this
    includes system-wide preferences)

    Migrating the User will get your ~/Library which includes the user level
    preferences (where your thunderbird stuff is all stored).

    JF Mezei, Dec 19, 2009

  3. bartbrn

    bartbrn Guest

    Thank YOU, Steve (Gates) Jobs!
    Forgive me, but I don't get "For a folder, you need to click on it, at
    the bottom of the list." What folder? The bottom of WHAT list? The
    "option" part I get.
    Forgive me again,, but "...at the very bottom of the list." The bottom
    of WHAT list?
    No argument from me.
    A-ha! I'll try that!

    Thanks much!

    Bart Brown

    bartbrn, Dec 19, 2009
  4. The Dock should already have a couple of folders in it, Documents and
    Downloads. You can drag additional folders to that section of the dock
    if you wish. To open one of these folders, right-click on it and select
    "Open <Folder Name>" at the bottom of the menu.

    Other options: Click on the Finder icon in the dock, and a default
    folder will be opened (you can select this folder in Finder's
    preferences). Use the Finder's Go menu to open a folder.

    Barry Margolin, Dec 19, 2009
  5. Everything you said you want to do, you can do in the Finder, just as with
    all earlier versions of the Mac OS.
    Right where it has aways been. It is in the computer's window. If you
    don't see the startup drive's folder when you press command-N (or choose
    "New Finder Window" from the File menu) when in the Finder, open Finder
    Preferences and set it as the new Finder window.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 20, 2009