So after much reading.....I find this (8knxp-raid 0/ICH5/r)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by M-Tech, May 25, 2004.

  1. M-Tech

    M-Tech Guest

    M-Tech, May 25, 2004

  2. M-Tech

    M-Tech Guest

    Well I just completed the conversion process...and for some reason, my
    "marks" when using HDTACH and Sandra are MUCH lower then what these guys
    got.

    Me thinks something is "up". I'll go through my bios to make sure
    everything that should be enabled, is.

    Don

    M-Tech, May 25, 2004

  3. No two systems or setups are the same, never. If you want performance then
    set the stripe size to either 64 or 32.

    Richard Dower, May 25, 2004
  4. M-Tech

    M-Tech Guest

    I would assume someone using the same mb/processor/testing program/hd's/i-o
    controllers....they are also using a 128 stripe.

    Perhaps the difference is between the way I setup my raid, through software
    and not a clean install.

    Don

    M-Tech, May 25, 2004
  5. M-Tech

    jpsga Guest

    Well
    HD Tach;
    max=103
    min =57.5
    avg=88.3
    Burst=111.5
    access time 8.8ms

    Sandra:
    Index 80MB/s
    note. This is there opinion based on very little data.

    Buffered Read=83
    Sequential Read = 103
    Randon Read=46.
    access 12.ms

    Sandra claims to be using a data block size of 1024kB. Look like they are.

    HD Tach uses 64kB data block and that is too small. HD Tach 3.00 might fix
    that.

    JPS

    jpsga, May 26, 2004
  6. M-Tech

    M-Tech Guest

    My numbers are about the same as yours...wonder how the "test" in the
    article got such high numbers?

    Thanks
    Don

    M-Tech, May 26, 2004
  7. M-Tech

    jpsga Guest

    I believe it was reports like this that got the Sandra guys to bring out the
    2004 version. They won't be quite as embarrassed. RAID was never Sandras
    thing. Could be next up-date will have more realistic numbers for the

    HD Tach went dorment for a while with the old 2.61. Then came 2.7 which was
    an improvement. The beta 3.0 looked reasonable . That should be out in June.

    Welcome to the world of fast RAID world. It is like sex, ounce you have it
    you'll go back!!

    JPS

    jpsga, May 26, 2004