    The Dell lady says it's not the OEM XP, but the real XP
    that they're sending.

    No data to be saved.

    Ron Hardin, Jan 28, 2008

  2. Ron Hardin

    Jay B Guest

    i would wipe the hard drive, then boot from the xp cd, and install xp
    from scratch.
    of course, beforethat, you should backup any data you may have on there
    that you need,
    and also the drivers folder to facilitate getting those back on,
    especially the network driver.
    put them on a usb key.

    the boot from vista is different from xp... unless you want to keep a
    dual boot for testing purposes.... that's a different story.
    then vista should be installed after xp, so the boot manager comes in
    properly.

    Jay B, Jan 28, 2008

  3. Ron Hardin

    Bob Levine Guest

    Set the bios to boot to the DVD drive, insert the Windows XP CD and
    follow the directions.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Jan 28, 2008
  4. Ron Hardin

    RnR Guest

    I forgot now but didn't a dual boot mess up the restore points for the
    non booted OS? I'm not sure now but I may have read an involved way
    to solve the problem but did someone here give us a simple way to
    resolve it (I forgot if they did) ?

    RnR, Jan 28, 2008
  5. Ron Hardin

    Jay B Guest

    the best way to do dual boot is to use 2 different hard drives or
    partitions.
    that way the files dont interfere with each other.
    i've also dual booted by switching the position of the hard drives, or
    the hard drives themselves if they are in removable enclosures.

    Jay B, Jan 28, 2008
  6. Ron Hardin

    RnR Guest

    Thanks Jay, that sounds simple enough.
    Appreciate the reminder !!

    RnR, Jan 28, 2008
  7. it is easy, but it takes an incredibly long amount of time.
    put the windows xp disk in the cd drive and turn on the computer. press f12
    durring the power on self test to obtain the boot menu. select cd drive and
    then be ready to strike a key when prompted 'strike any key to boot from
    cd'. select to install windows, accept the license agreement, and then
    overwrite the current large partition (leave the vista recovery partition if
    you think you might want to restore that factory image, and keep the utility
    partition for performing hardware tests in the future. once windows
    completes the installation i copy the \i386 folder from the windows xp cd to
    the c drive and edit
    hklm\software\microsoft\windows\winnt\currentversion\sourcepath to c:\i386.
    then install the chipset driver, video, nic, wireless, audio, modem,
    touchpad, and anything else you have drivers. the update windows repeatedly
    via the 'custom' option on update.microsoft.com until it reports no more
    updates (this can take a considerable amount of time). then visit java.com
    and install java, visit www.adobe.com/downloads and install flash, then
    shockwave, then acrobat reader 8.0. then install the application software
    that you want (including the sonic recordnow and/or dvd decoder software.
    finally if you want to get the dell media center working again go ahead and
    install that. alternatively, just pull the hard disk from the first latptop
    you received and put it into the new laptop.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 29, 2008
  8. Ron Hardin

    Journey Guest

    Yeah, best not to install XP and Vista on the same drive. Better to
    get another drive if one wants to do that, but I don't know why there
    would be a need for most people.

    I love to see people downgrade from Vista to XP. I wonder how MS is
    going to get out of this mess going forward -- probably the next OS
    will be cleaner (like Mac's) and provide an upgrade path from XP and
    Vista, and Vista may end up being like Windows ME.

    MS is screwing up on all cylinders but I think has been having good
    financial results. Too bad. I am not a MS investor so I don't know
    the details.

    I am one of the few that finds Vista acceptable. A wasted opportunity
    but it works, with the right hardware and with most Vista features
    turned off lol.

    Journey, Jan 29, 2008
  9. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Thanks, I'll try the long directions.

    Pulling the HD is a nice idea, except it's on the truck back now, and
    also runs the risk that the HD is the problem with the old one (say
    generating specious interrupts).

    Ron Hardin, Jan 29, 2008
  10. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    The delivery guy volunteered that they're handling a lot of
    Dell returns. I don't know that it's beyond the usual
    however, it's just his feeling that he brought up.

    This is the only Dell I've had any trouble with, myself.

    It takes up an awful lot of my time, however. Probably enough
    at imputed wage rates to pay for a new machine, not that anybody
    is volunteering to pay me.

    Ron Hardin, Jan 29, 2008
  11. dell has instructions in this wizard... select 'troubleshooting has been
    atempted', next, 'data lost/data does not need to be backed up', next, ...
    when it asks if you have all the cds say yes or it just tells you to call
    technical support...
    http://tinyurl.com/2xbaxk

    Christopher Muto, Jan 29, 2008