    If I set it to 200 I have to kick down the multiplier to 10 or 10.5
    However at those settings the CPU isn't detected has a 2800+

    at 10.5 it's a 3000+ HEY maybe I should just use that ?

    bp, Jun 23, 2003

  2. bp

    Rainman Guest

    | So what do you set the BIOS to to make an A7N8x Deluxe v2.0 Bios 1005
    | do 400 fsb with a 2800+ barton
    |
    | The BOIS auto detects my CPU fhz at 166 with a multiplier of 12.5
    |
    | If I set it to 200 I have to kick down the multiplier to 10 or 10.5
    | However at those settings the CPU isn't detected has a 2800+
    |
    | at 10.5 it's a 3000+ HEY maybe I should just use that ?

    166 @ 12.5x is the correct settings for the 333MHz Barton 2800+ which
    runs at 2.083GHz clock. If you were able to raise your FSB from 166MHz
    to 200MHz and can run it at 10.5x multiplier then you've accomplished
    your goal. 200 x 10.5 = 2.10GHz may not sound like much of an overclock
    compared to your standard 2.083MHz, but you will achieve a performance
    increase just by virtue of the higher FSB.

    Sometimes 2500+ Bartons can do better than that if the rest of the
    components are up to the task. You didn't really say why you had to
    "kick down the multiplier to 10x or 10.5x". Was it not posting or
    unstable in Windows at a higher multiplier? You should have up to 12.5x
    still available to experiment with.

    You didn't mention what you have for memory. Your memory and/or memory
    settings may be what are holding you back. You'll want good quality
    PC3200 or faster DDR if you want to be stable at 200MHz settings. I
    wouldn't rely on overclocking PC2700 unless you are certain your
    particular stick(s) will do well at 200MHz. If you've got two identical
    DDR memory modules, put one in Slot 3 and the other in Slot 2 (or Slot
    1) and make sure the memory is synched with the CPU FSB in the BIOS
    memory settings (100%). Don't leave it set at default AUTO or SPD
    setting unless your DDR is already true 400MHz PC3200 that runs reliably
    at that speed.

    At 200MHz you are experimenting with the maximum FSB the A7N8X is
    designed for, so you don't have a lot of overclocking "headroom" to play
    with if you happen to have subpar memory.

    Rainman, Jun 23, 2003

  3. bp

    bp Guest

    Well CRAP the outfit that sold me that CPU said it did 400 FSB and it
    did in my old MB (I think)
    I have it at 10.5 at 200 and it works like a charm. I was just
    wondering if I had all these setting messed up. Guess I had them
    right.
    If i had it at 12.5 and 200 it wouldn't post or memory post test
    would fail.

    I have 1 stick ddr3200 (samsung) and one DDR 3500 (new KingstonX)
    and it runs fine now at 200 and 10.5. (detected as a 3000+)
    I will try to go higher today and see what I can get out of this
    thing. System is kicking ass now though but I would like to be #1 on
    3dmarks web site ;) only number 2 now

    I did have a ddr2700 in and it was holding it back. Got the Kingston
    yesterday at BB for a great price of 99.00. (they had it marked wrong
    poor BB)
    They are not identical but that is how I have them. I do use the SPD
    because I want it to use the slower ram (samsung) settings

    It seems to. ;)
    The Kingston is very good but I'm not sure on the samsung although it
    was recommended from MSI for my last MB I'm not sure of the specs.

    Thanks for your reply it clears up a few things.

    bp, Jun 23, 2003
  4. bp

    Ed Guest

    I run mine at 200x11.5x / 1.725v, seems to run fine at 200x11 at default
    vcore though.(1.65v)

    Ed

    Ed, Jun 23, 2003