So..?! What's the best value/speed right now?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Bruin, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. Bruin

    Bruin Guest

    My first big upgrade was a 200mgz to a Celeron 300A that I clocked to 450.
    That was a DEAL & I loved the performance. I was happy for a while.
    Then it was a flip-chip P3 600 clocked at 800. I was happy.
    Then P4s came out, over-priced, neutered, & I jumped ship to AMD & got an
    1800+ but ran it at it's rated speed. Still saved a ton over a P4. I
    was happy.
    Then, & finally I am running a 2500+ (1833) at 3200+ (2200) & I am getting
    the itch. Been running this CPU for over two years. TWO YEARS!!?!

    I am feeling an onset of Upgrade Fever.

    What is the speed vs value deal going right now? To be honest, I kept
    myself away from the hardware pages/groups to keep from catching the Fever &
    I am way behind the times. All I know is that I should maybe be lookin at
    Socket 939. Any good, inexpensive CPUs that I can crank up to expensive
    speeds? =)

    Best MB or at least chipset to go with that CPU would also help.

    TIA!

    Bruin, Sep 5, 2005

  2. Bruin

    gringo Guest

    same boat here - can't make up my mind so I think I'll keep it. XP 64
    doesn't interest me.

    gringo, Sep 5, 2005

  3. Bruin

    888 Guest

    Best CPU: Any socket939 AMD64 really and straight forward to choose from.

    Best Mobo: I recommened (and most others would agree too) the nForce4 series
    chipset. nForce4 Ultra is the least I would get. I've been looking around for
    good motherboards recently and the MSI K8N SLI Platinum is a very decent board.
    Slightly above the average price of a standard mobo but it's worth the
    investment.

    888, Sep 5, 2005
  4. Bruin

    rms Guest

    Best CPU now seems to be the 3800+ X2, which overclocks easily to 4800+.

    rms

    rms, Sep 5, 2005
  5. Bruin

    Bruin Guest

    Woah! 3800+ X2! $374.00 at Newegg. Pricey but possible. I currently
    own a 6800GT AGP so as far as I can tell (at Newegg) I can't get an Nforce4.
    =/

    Any recommendations for an AGP board? Also I got 2-512 sticks of Mushkin
    RAM PC3200 that I want to use. Is the NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra a good chipset?
    I been lovin by nForce2.

    Bruin, Sep 5, 2005
  6. Bruin

    Flow Guest

    nforce4 ultra boards are excellent,i'm very happy with mine.
    Now i have an amd64 3800+,and it can oc to 2.7Ghz easy,but i read much about
    the amd64 3200 venice also clocking around 2.7Ghz.
    I love it and my skt939 leaves me some upgrade possibilities also.
    Expect your games running alot faster with such a setup compared to what
    you've got now.

    Flow, Sep 5, 2005
  7. Bruin

    OldFartJC Guest

    If you want to be safe then don't buy an NF3 Ultra chipset board like my MSI
    Neo2 Platinum (which is sitting in it's box right now) if you own a 6800 GT
    video card. There are hundreds of pages of the pausing and stuttering
    problems with this combo when playing D3D games on many different forums. I
    only wish I knew about this before I purchased the NF3 Ultra board over 3
    months ago. I now have an ASUS A8V Deluxe Rev. 2 which I installed over 2
    weeks ago and works great with my BFG 6800 GT OC, unlike my NF3 board which
    had constant problems in D3D games only. All OpenGL games ran great, it was
    only D3D games that had the problem. If you had an ATI card you also
    wouldn't have the problem with an NF3 chipset board. Below are a couple of
    forums to go to where many of us have posted problems with the NF3 and 68XX
    problem. Also, my system spec's are shown below.

    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=938842&page=1&pp=20

    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.6 Ghz/Retail HSF
    Was a MSI Neo2 Platinum/Bios Ver. 1.A
    Now an ASUS A8V Deluxe Ver. 2 Bios 1014
    OS: Win XP Pro/SP2
    Antec SmartPower 350W +3.3V/28A +5V/35A +12V/21A
    BFG 6800GT OC 370/1000
    1 Gig OCZ PC3500 2.5-3-3-7-2T Dual Channel
    Maxtor 250 Gig ATA 133/Primary IDE Master
    WDC 80 Gig ATA 100/Primary IDE Slave
    Seagate 160 Gig SATA Drive
    Plextor DVDR PX-708A Sec. IDE Master
    Liteon JLMS XJ-HD166S Sec. IDE Slave
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card

    OldFartJC, Sep 7, 2005
  8. Bruin

    Bruin Guest

    YIKES! Thanks for the heads up.... holy crap I know I would get this issue
    if I bought a NF3 board.

    Bruin, Sep 7, 2005
  9. Bruin

    Bill G Guest

    Does this chip somehow manufacture another 512K of cache? The 4800+ has
    1MB. A 4600+ would be a more accurate comparison.

    Bill G, Sep 8, 2005