    But that's an x4 card.

    Is there a GigaByte board with x4 slots that I could recycle my
    current CPU and memory into?

    (PeteCresswell), Oct 29, 2010

  2. Depends on what cards and peripherals you are using.

    You can check here:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=2&p=2&v=7
    This one should work: GA-EP45-EXTREME (rev. 1.0)

    However,
    For the cost of that ssd, you could have a GA x58a-ud3r
    sata 3 board($300), core i7 930($200), 6gb DDR3 mem($150),
    and a terabyte 6gb/ sec sata 3 hdd ($100).
    Get a second 6gb drive and Raid zero them for 4x speed.
    That is what I have. Boot up = 70 seconds to fully
    functional xp2 32bit.

    Paul in Houston TX, Oct 29, 2010

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    peter Guest

    ?More money than sense???
    Have you looked into the cost of that thing???
    bet you looking at 800buck cost and you would still need to buy
    a new motherboard.

    peter

    or disruptive,please ignore it.
    to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :)
    "(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

    I've got an EP45-UD3L, but am thinking about getting one of these
    things http://tinyurl.com/32h3xcx to speed things up.

    peter, Oct 29, 2010
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    P45 based motherboards come in two types.

    The cheapest P45 boards, run the P45 in P43 mode, providing
    only one big PCI Express slot. That's what you bought.
    Your board runs only the (1)x16 mode, and has one big
    PCI Express slot on it. (If the manufacturer wanted, they
    could have placed a P43 chip on the motherboard, and you'd
    be none the wiser.)

    The rest of the P45 boards, provide two big PCI Express slots.
    Either of those slots could take a x4, x8, or x16 card. The
    slot wiring runs either (1)x16 or (2)x8, and switches automatically
    as a function of card presence detection. So if you installed
    a video card and a Revodrive, each would have access to up to
    x8 lanes. Or alternately, you could plug an Areca RAID card
    with x8 interface, and it would work at full speed.

    So what you want, is the P45 board you didn't buy, which was
    a few dollars more. That would have done the job, and come
    with two big slots to hold anything you could plug into them.

    Since we're on the tail end of LGA775 generation, finding a
    good motherboard now will be fun. I bought an LGA775 motherboard
    a while back, and didn't get the one I wanted. I haven't checked
    lately, to see what's left, but I would guess the picking
    should be slim. Too many generations of LGA1156/LGA1366
    exist, for good LGA775 motherboards to stick around.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 29, 2010
  5. Per peter:
    I was figuring a couple hundred dollars for a 30-gigger. Now
    that I'm writing this, of course I can't find the URL... but I'm
    pretty sure that was the price range.

    But even at $200, I'm not sure it's such a great idea. What
    attracted me was the extremely fast boot time and no additional
    noise.

    Actually, I've got a RAID card in my box right now - used to
    enable hot swapping on a SATA bay.... Although I don't know
    diddly about RAID, I'm guessing that a couple/two/three drives as
    Raid-2 could be made to boot a lot faster... and that might be a
    solution too.

    (PeteCresswell), Oct 30, 2010