    1.8Ghz. Is it simply a case of taking out one socket A processor and
    replacing with another ? And maybe taking into consideration extra
    cooling requirements ?

    Metrics Pete, Jun 6, 2007

  2. Metrics Pete

    Wes Newell Guest

    Generally, yes, but the MB may limit the default speed of the cpu. Socket
    A CPU's have been out of production for some time. It could be very
    expensive to upgrade the cpu unless he can find a used one under $25. Just
    to give you an idea, the XP 3200+ (fastest made) is selling for about
    $275 retail now. Fry's electronics recently had an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual
    core cpu with MB on sale for $89 that's more than twice as fast as the
    3200+XP. So upgrading his socket A cpu is pretty much a total waste of
    money. Should he proceed, there's lots of info in the my server link below
    that will help. I'd need to know what MB make and model he has to offer
    options.

    Wes Newell, Jun 6, 2007

  3. Metrics Pete

    Damon Hill Guest

    A BIOS update will probably be necessary to recognize the newer CPU.
    It may work more or less correctly without the update. A 755 MHz
    Duron sounds a little slow, possibly a setup issue? Depending on
    the motherboard and installed memory, memory speed may be significantly
    increased with a newer CPU.

    --Damon

    Damon Hill, Jun 10, 2007