    4. What are the tools required to build a soft-core using Handel-C?

    Thanks,
    s.a.

    sai a, Nov 25, 2003

  2. One where you never see the naughty bits...

    --Gene

    Gene S. Berkowitz, Nov 26, 2003

  3. Go read http://www.fpgacpu.org/links.html . There are a ton of
    free and educational soft cores from which to learn. If, after
    studying this material for a while, you have more questions, by
    all means come back to comp.arch.fpga.

    - Larry

    Larry Doolittle, Nov 26, 2003
  4. sai a

    Thad Smith Guest

    I think it is one that is constructed with programmable logic using the
    normal programmable logic tools. This is in contrast to a hard-core
    processor, which is laid out in a more custom manner. Hard core
    processors can be present on an IC with programmable logic, but it is
    inserted as a single large piece of logic, rather than build with the
    standard programmable parts.

    Soft core is more flexible, but hard core has better performance: size,
    speed, low power.
    I suppose you either design your own with standard logic components or
    license an existing a design. I believe there is one processor design
    with some sort of free licensing.
    I added comp.arch.fpga to the group list. This should bring in some
    more knowledgeable folk.

    Thad

    Thad Smith, Nov 26, 2003
  5. sai a