    This might sound stupid, but I really hope someone could clear these
    terms for me.

    Thank you.

    awa, Nov 26, 2007

  2. A Soft CPU is one that can be field reconfigured, and is not
    hardwired in silicon.
    Most common form are implemented in FPGAs, so look for
    PicoBlaze, PacoBlaze, MicroBlaze, NIOS, NIOS II, Mico8, Mico32, on the
    net, for examples.

    Just to confuse you more, some of these SoftCPUs are available
    under license, to be used to build hard-Wired CPUs :)

    -jg

    Jim Granville, Nov 26, 2007

  3. awa

    awa Guest

    Hi Jim,

    Oh no. Another term? When you say soft CPU are you referring to soft
    core or soft processor core?

    I've been using the two term interchangeably until a friend of mine
    told me that I they are different 'animal'. Hence, I'm seeking
    professional guidance on this one.

    Thank you.

    awa, Nov 26, 2007
  4. Follow the links, and you'll find the terminology as used by the
    various suppliers. Soft core is less preferred, as a little
    loose (core of what?) than Soft CPU
    [CPU = Central Processor Unit, some just say Soft Processor ]
    Another umbrella term is Intellectual Property, used by the
    companies that want to sell these Soft Processors.

    Jim Granville, Nov 26, 2007