    annoying having a motherboard which allows setting FSB up to 200, but
    having no 1/5 divider makes this worthless as PCI is way out of spec.
    Even 166 is not usable with no 1/5 divider.

    zmike6, Apr 2, 2004

  2. zmike6

    Chip Guest

    Nothing can create a divider that the chipset doesn't support. But in
    theory it is possible to write a piece of software that could change the
    divider. And even conceivably switch to one that was supported by the
    chipset, but not by the bios.

    There's nothing magic about a bios - its just a piece of software like
    anything else. A problem you might have with a Windows based tool though,
    is that running it could well crash Windows. And then when you rebooted,
    you'd be back to where you started. The bios has the advantage of being
    able to run *very* early on.

    Chip

    Chip, Apr 2, 2004