    not work with this heatsink. Is there any other alternative besides
    hooking up the Fan Mate that came as an accessory or adjusting settings
    in BIOS to control the rpms for a Zalman 9500?

    Fred, Feb 14, 2006

  2. Fred

    Paul Guest

    You don't say what motherboard this is, but I'm guessing there is
    a BIOS setting "CPU Q-Fan Mode" and choices are [PWM] and [DC].
    If the setting is [PWM] right now, it should be on [DC].

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 14, 2006

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I'm sorry, it's a P5WD2 Premium and those features are available with
    this board. Was asking about a software solution because it is so much
    more convenient to adjust settings on the fly compared to booting into
    the BIOS. Besides SpeedFan, are there any other programs that could
    accomplish this task?

    Thanks for the reply -

    Fred, Feb 14, 2006
  4. Fred

    Mark C. Guest

    Are you able to hear a difference at lower speeds? I also
    have a CNPS9500LED and even at full speed I can't hear
    its fan over the other fans in my system.

    Mark C., Feb 14, 2006
  5. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Have the 9500 in a Wavemaster Case that came with three 80mm fans
    and I can definitely hear the difference. A loud and low rumble is the
    only way to describe the noise from that heatsink. Perhaps the reason
    it's so noticeable is that I'm trying to get accustomed to a new sound
    with a different musical pitch. It's not unbearable but a small price
    that must be paid to experience cooler temperatures.

    How many fans are you running and how cool is the CPU versus the
    ambient temperature of that room?

    Replaced the side panel two months ago with cardboard so I could
    experiment with different theories and had an air duct right over the
    stock Intel Heatsink and was satisfied with the results. Just installed
    the 9500 yesterday after noticing on their website that the Zalman was
    on sale at Compusa for 60 dollars. I am running the computer with it's
    original side panel on and it's cooler than the jimmy-rigged panel with
    a hole in it to let in fresh air. The next step is taking off that
    panel and replacing it cardboard so I can monitor the difference with
    an air duct right over the 9500.

    Fred, Feb 14, 2006
  6. Fred

    Mark C. Guest

    Well, considering the number of fans in my system I guess it's
    no wonder the 9500 doesn't make a dent. There are three
    80mm intake fans (two front, one above the video/CPU area),
    one 120mm exhaust fan, two more 80mm's on the power supply,
    and two small but fast 40mm's on the Northbridge and video
    card. In spite of all this the system isn't /that/ noisy. It's in our
    living room and we can watch TV or whatever from just a few
    feet away without any distraction.

    CPU temps (this is a 3.0C P4 running at 3.8GHz) with the
    9500 cooler average ~system+15C. ~41-43C idle and mid
    50's C at full load. Not bad for a heavily overclocked CPU.

    Mark C., Feb 14, 2006
  7. Fred

    Mike Guest

    I also have the 9500LED version and I think the bearing noise from its fan seems
    a little loud.

    I've gone to extreme lengths to make my system almost silent. rubber mounting
    both h/drives, home made extra large passive heatsink for Nforce4 chipset etc.
    All the fans are rubber mounted, including the 9500LED fan, I reduced the
    bearing noise substantially by simply swapping the 2 ball race bearing for a
    pair from another fan which was much quieter. the bearings in all these fans are
    the same size BTW.

    I run a AMD 4400 X2 CPU and the temps are always in the very low thirties except
    when gaming when it can rise to the mid forties.
    Incidently have you ever tried this heatsink without a fan at all, its
    certainly possible to run it without a fan as I tried it and the results were
    quite good, temps were still around the 45c mark at idle though it did rise to
    about 58c when gaming, not bad considering it was running passive.
    I would'nt have thought it necessary to fit a speed controller to the 9500, I
    just run mine from the 5v and its silent. Its an effective and efficient
    heatsink. It should be able to keep the temps quite low on just 5v.

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 14, 2006