solaris on intel -- NIC compatability?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Ronald O. Christian, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. I just brought up Solaris 2.9 on Intel, and it was uneventful except I
    can't get it on the net. I have two NICs, an older Dlink (10baseT and
    thinnet) and a relatively new generic 10baseT) and although the
    installation routine finds and identifies both of them, the OS finds
    neither of them. (nothing in /var/adm/messages, and ifconfig shows
    only localhost) I've tried them in different slots with no
    difference.

    It occurs to me that there's probably a resource somewhere that will
    tell me what NICs are compatible with Solaris 9 for Intel, and what
    drivers might work with the devices I have, but a search of the
    Solaris for Intel pages on sun.com hasn't yet borne fruit, and the
    search strings I've come up with so far yield a huge number of
    unhelpful links. Can someone point me in the right direction?

    Thanks, and apologies in advance if I've overlooked something silly.

    Ron
    -
    http://www.christianfamilywebsite.com
    http://www.iswizards.com
    Definition: Nelp: Contraction of "no help". Colloquial: Help
    messages that are of no help whatsoever. Pretains to help files,
    messages or documentation that convey no useful information, or
    pedantically repeat the blindingly obvious.

    Ronald O. Christian, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Ronald O. Christian

    Dave Uhring Guest

    Install Intel 82557/82558 NICs.

    If you want to play games with others, then

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/

    Dave Uhring, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Thanks. I don't want to play games at all -- I just want the box to
    work. So, if I purchase and install an Intel 82558 nic, do I need to
    reinstall Solaris?

    Ron
    -

    Ronald O. Christian, Jul 28, 2003
  4. Ronald O. Christian

    Dave Uhring Guest

    No. When prompted for the boot type in 'b -r'. Once the system is up and
    you have logged into CDE, check that you have /dev/iprb and /dev/iprb0.
    If they are not there then execute 'devfsadm'. Next execute
    'sys-unconfig'.

    When the system reboots answer the questions. If your machine is on a
    subnet and connecting through a NAT/router, then answer NONE to the
    question about name service. The other network parameters can be obtained
    from your Windows box by executing cmd.exe, then 'ipconfig /all'.

    Then 'cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf'. You will need to
    configure /etc/resolv.conf:

    nameserver same_as_in_windows
    search verizon.net

    Dave Uhring, Jul 28, 2003