Solid ZM6 for the kids ! second upgrade of it

Discussion in 'Abit' started by JK (at mail dot dk), Nov 8, 2004.

  1. Hi

    About 2 years ago I sold for my neighbours kids a ZM6 modified for
    coppermine.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20000229/
    It runs an overclocked celeron 633, 9.5 x 100, at 1.85 volt and with a
    1 GHz Intel standard cooler and a cabinet fan. 256 Mbyte in one stick.
    440ZX chipset does not support more ram.

    It was supplied with a 7200 rpm Maxtor, 15 Gbyte, a Leadtek 4X
    soundcard, a netcard and voodoo3 2000 graphics. Windows 2000.

    Now they want a better graphics card. (OpenGL is the problem, I
    believe). They get a radeon 7000, 32 Mbyte, and further a LG DVD-CDRW
    drive. Further the harddisk has a lot of bad sectors making
    installation difficult and unrelieable, so they get another better 13
    Gbyte Maxtor, 7200 rpm. Maybe I should also add a promise ata66
    harddisk controller.

    Solid performance of an old board !

    The computer plays several hours every day. So I have serviced all
    fans with a drop of thick oil.

    But I am not considering socket adapters for tualatin since they don't
    support ppga motherboard. The combination of a ppga to fcpga
    modification and a tualatin adapter is a trap, that I do not believe
    in.

    There is an extreme modification article though: Tualatizing your ZM6
    http://www.geocities.com/_lunchbox/articles.html

    the server is not up now.

    best regards

    John

    JK (at mail dot dk), Nov 8, 2004

  2. Well, I tested further.

    My conclusion is that with windows XP this systems fails in the file
    system. It breaks down now and then, and Nero locks by startup. If I
    clock it down to nominal 9.5x66 I see no problems. But then it is so
    slow.

    So I exhange the motherboard with an asus p3bf with a slot-T adapter
    and a tualatin celeron 1200. No OC.

    If this does not work either, it might be the power supply.

    :-/

    My ZM6 system is worn out

    best regards

    John