    don't want to spend money for a drive if it won't fix the problem. Thanks
    for any further info. Remove the x from my email address to reply by email
    or just reply in the group.

    Rich, Oct 19, 2003

  2. As long as there is no CMOS password, replacing the drive will solve the
    problem.
    The password is stored on the hard drive itself - there are companies that
    can remove it for you, but unless you need the contents of the drive, the
    cost will be similar to what a new 20 GByte notebook drive will run.

    Edward J. Neth, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Edward,
    I assume the hard drive password is set in the bios as well as on the hard
    drive because I cleared all the rest. Will a new hard drive work in this
    case? I don't need the data on the current drive.Is it worth trying to use a
    sector editor or is that impossible because the drive can't be accessed? I
    can easily boot from a floppy and run the sector editor from there.
    Thanks for the reply.

    Rich, Oct 19, 2003
  4. If you can access the BIOS, there is no CMOS password - if there were, you
    would not be able to access the BIOS setup.

    The hard drive password is stored in a place on the drive that is not
    accessible to the user through the operating system - a sector editor isn't
    going to help here. Replacing the drive is the only practical solution.

    Edward J. Neth, Oct 19, 2003