    all the upgrade stuff in 1 place) and it actually brought the battery
    back from the dead! So I got everything else cleaned out, upgraded
    and working with Windows 98 but am having 2 problems:

    #1: about 1/3 of the time it locks up on shutdown. I have to power
    off and it always reboots fine and usually shuts down fine the next
    time I try. This is not a big deal but it is both dangerous and
    annoying and I'd like to fix whatever is happening, if possible.

    #2: When the system sleeps and the screen is darkened, I can always
    awaken the unit (HD, general responsiveness) but sometimes the screen
    does not reactivate/awaken. I can close programs and use num/shift
    locks, etc. so I know the system is awake/active but I have not
    picture. Nothing I do will bring it back other than a power cycle.

    Any ideas?

    Gregg Woodcock, May 24, 2004

  2. Gregg Woodcock

    snoopy Guest

    #1. Check out the Microsoft Knowledge base for the many articles on
    troubleshooting shutdown problems.

    #2 Are you at the latest version of the BIOS? I've seen several BIOS
    updates on other machines address issues like this. Maybe yours has one.
    Might also want to make sure all your drivers are up to date.

    snoopy, May 24, 2004

  3. Gregg Woodcock

    JustMe Guest

    I have this computer and have experienced both issues you have. For #1 no
    idea why it does it. I have had this computer for about 5 years and have
    reformatted several times and sometimes it still does it.
    #2 Same thing..no idea why but one thing that sometimes helped bring the
    screen back is the FN and the lcd/crt key. Not sure which number - maybe F5
    or whatever and just cycle thru slowly.
    Hope this helps

    JustMe, May 26, 2004