Solution for WinDVD "Create Overlay Failed"

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Dirk Van de moortel, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. Today I just stated experiencing some problems when playing
    DVDs with Intervideo's WinDVD.
    I always got a "Create Overlay Failed" error.
    I also couldn't play DVD's in my Windows Media Player
    anymore.

    Google didn't give me much.... reinstall this, reinstall that, but
    nothing really helped.

    After quite a long search I found this thread on this group:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati/browse_frm/thread/cdd040f46846ef33/
    So I dug into DirectX and soon found that the problem was
    caused by a Remote Assistance session of Live Messenger.
    While a connection is active, DirectDraw Acceleration and
    AGP Texture Acceleration are both disabled.

    If this happens, you don't have to reinstall anything.
    Just right click desktop, Properties, Settings, Advanced,
    Troubleshoot, and slide the hardware acceleration
    handle to Full again, OK, OK

    It solved the problem for me.

    Since the thread was not available for replies anymore, I
    decided to open this one, FWIW.

    Dirk Vdm

    Dirk Van de moortel, Nov 13, 2006

  2. Dirk Van de moortel

    kellkennus

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Another Solution for WinDVD "Create Overlay Failed"

    I got the "create overlay failed" message too along with the InterActual Player "error PL4007" message, both of which prevented DVDs from playing on my laptop. Dirk's fix didn't solve my problem, but led me toward the solution.

    After searches for "PL4007" on INterActual's help site, I finally found a solution that worked for me. Turns out I had activated Net Meeting since I last watched a dvd on my laptop, and NetMeeting wasn't closing properly.

    I followed InterActual's fix (see below), but that still didn't solve my problem. Only after I clicked on the Net Meeting icon in my system tray to close the program was I able to watch DVDs again.

    Here are InterActual's instructions, which may help some people:
    Problem:

    Your InterActual Player reports an error PL4007, or DVD Navigator error. Your default DVD program also reports an error, usually with creating a video overlay.

    Solution:
    This may be caused by a conflicting instance of the Netmeeting conferencing utility in your computer. Netmeeting is included in Windows 2000, and is available for install in all other Windows platforms via the standard Windows Update website. If Netmeeting does not shut down properly however, then all video-based programs may be affected. The problem will not be resolved by restarting your computer.
    To correct the issue, just run Netmeeting by clicking Start > Run, typing CONF, and clicking OK. If you have not used Netmeeting before, then you will be taken through a wizard to confirm your settings and calibrate your hardware. These settings are not important; all you need to do is get to the main Netmeeting window. Once you have the Netmeeting window showing on the screen, simply close it by clicking the "X" button in the upper right. Once you have done this, try playing a DVD. It should work.
    You can confirm that Netmeeting is no longer running by doing the following:
    1. Click Start > Run again.
    2. Type DXDIAG and click OK.
    3. The DirectX Diagnostic Utility should load. If Netmeeting is still running, and you have DirectX 9.0 or higher installed, then you will receive a warning from the utility that Netmeeting is still running. Otherwise, select the Display tab at top. If you need to update DirectX, see Related Links below for a link to the DirectX website.
    4. Look for the "DirectDraw Acceleration" option in this panel. It should show as Enabled, with a Disable button next to it. Do not click this button.
    5. If the value is N/A, that means that Netmeeting may still be running, or that your display drivers may not be properly installed. Repeat the instructions above for launching and closing Netmeeting again, then restart your computer and try the DXDIAG utility again.
    6. If you see N/A for DirectDraw Acceleration a second time, then it is likely that your video drivers are either not properly installed, or are corrupted. You will need to contact your computer manufacturer for help in reinstalling your graphics card drivers.

    ***As I said, this fix didn't work for me until I clicked on the NetMeeting Icon in the system tray and closed the program that way. And voila.
    Hope this helps someone else.

    kellkennus, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Dirk Van de moortel

    thankyou

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    I signed up just to reply and say thank you!!

    I searched for hours when this failed many months ago. I even had Cisco IT support (I work at Cisco) trying to fix this and they couldn't figure out how. I had tried the hardware accelerator option before because we had fidgeted around with that setting for something else, but this netmeeting thing-- I don't think I would have ever found that out! I hate netmeeting!! haha, now even more!

    Anyway, I created an account just to say I really appreciate you posting the solution!!

    thankyou, Sep 12, 2009
  4. Dirk Van de moortel

    apwnew

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Thanks a lot kellkennus for help. I did it.

    apwnew, Feb 20, 2013