Solution for X-Com Enemy Within Freezes and Crashes (Especially on terror mission)

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Skybuck Flying, Nov 16, 2013.

  1. Hello,

    I've been playing some X-Com Enemy Within today and I noticed some
    freezes/hangs and crashes.

    I started to wonder if maybe multi tasking or some other timing related
    setting is the cause of this.

    Then later the game always frooze up on the first terror mission (london for
    me).

    First I tried changing the graphics settings to low or medium or high.

    But finally this seemed to work, one of these three things below fixed it:

    1. I renamed the file:
    SN2473546944_SF_LOC_INC.upk
    original_SN2473546944_SF_LOC_INC.upk

    to deactive it, perhaps this was causing the freeze ups just like the first
    version for some people.

    But then I thought hmmm but unlikely strange so I also did this:

    2. I deactivate v-sync.

    3. I deactivate "frame smoothing"

    I think option 2 or 3 could be the culprit.

    Anyway this seemed to fix it.

    (I also tried setting cpu affinity to just one cpu but that made the game
    slow and didnt help the freezes, but the solution above worked... so now I
    can enjoy the game some more... it's a long game.. so I will to continue
    playing tomorrow or so ;)

    Pretty cool so far.. AI a bit better than previously I think.

    Bye,
    Bye,
    For
    Now
    Skybuck.

    Yeah have a terror/scary time... especially with those stealth
    swarmers/stranglers or something cool ! ;) =D

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 16, 2013

  2. This posting of mine can probably be savely ignored...

    The game still freezes/crashes.

    So it simply was a fluke of luck ! ;)

    The game is simply buggy, or maybe there is a driver issue...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 17, 2013

  3. Maybe updating steam may help.

    So far so good ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 17, 2013
  4. Game is playable.

    However one of the exalt/covert missions always crashes so far:

    "Operation First Flame"

    (France Dam)

    It crashes after it's done loading and clicking launch mission.

    Fortunately this mission can be skipped...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 19, 2013
  5. Ok, an additional perhaps even the main problem is found I think.

    I noticed how xcom uses an insane ammount of "windows handles" up 64.000+

    Windows does not like that.

    So I think X-Com Enemy Within is somehow leaking windows handles, ultimately
    leading to crashes and lock ups.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 19, 2013