SOLVED: Network Printing with HP PSC 1350

Discussion in 'HP' started by Josh Mayfield, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. I spent four days trying to get Windows 98 computers on my home
    network to print to the new HP PSC 1350 All-In-One printer connected
    to my Windows XP system. HP technical support said that network
    printing was not supported on this model and suggested that I buy a
    "higher end" printer if I wanted to be able to do it. Well I now have
    not one but two solutions for making this work. This specific problem
    only occurs if you're sharing a printer between different Windows
    platforms (for example Windows XP and Windows 98). If all the
    computers on your network are running the same version of Windows,
    you'll probably never see this issue. Also, I know for a fact that the
    same problem occurs on the HP PSC 1210, but I wouldn't at all be
    surprised if it happened with other models like the HP PSC 2175 or HP
    PSC 2410 because HP seems to use the same install CD for most of its
    home printers these days. I'd like to thank a USENET poster who goes
    by the name of "Madonna" for discovering solution #1 with her PSC
    1210. I have confirmed that it works with the 1350, and I also
    discovered another solution for users who are unable to perform the
    steps necessary for solution #1.

    SYMPTOM

    On home networks where the HP PSC 1350 is physically connected (via
    USB cable) to a PC running one Windows platform (Windows 2000/XP) and
    the printer is shared on the network, only client computers running
    the same Windows platform are able to add connections to that printer.
    Client systems running another Windows platform (Windows 98/Me) will
    not be able to add connections to the printer because the Add Printer
    Wizard cannot locate appropriate drivers. Even if you click Have Disk
    in the printer wizard and browse to the HP install CD, you will not be
    able to install the drivers.

    CAUSE

    The drivers on the HP install CD are not laid out in a format that
    Windows can recognize without the aid of special HP software that
    configures your computer to use new printers when they are connected
    to it. Unfortunately, this special software is only triggered when you
    make a physical (USB) connection to your PC. Browsing to shared
    printers on your home network does not trigger the software, so your
    computer does not recognize the drivers on your CD. Client computers
    running the same Windows platform as the PC connected to the printer
    do not have this issue, because the Add Printer Wizard will
    automatically download the drivers from the computer hosting the
    printer. Windows XP provides the capability to install drivers for
    other operating systems for exactly this purpose- to allow automatic
    download of the appropriate drivers to client systems- but again,
    because of HP's unusual driver layout, this is not an option with the
    PSC 1350.

    SOLUTION #1

    This solution requires that you either have 1) another Windows
    partition on your host computer [the one connected to the printer]
    with the same Windows platform installed as the client computers or 2)
    another computer running the same Windows platform as the client
    systems that you can temporarily use to locally install the printer.
    If you do not have either of these, you must follow Solution #2. Note:
    By "Windows platform" I mean a compatible group of Windows operating
    systems. One platform comprises WinXP and Win2000. The other platform
    includes Win98 and WinMe.

    1. Before you start, take note of your host PC's computer name. This
    is the name that the PC broadcasts on your home network. Also, take
    note of your printer's share name. For example, my host PC's computer
    name is "Micron" and the printer's share name is "hppsc1350".

    2. If your host PC has another partition with the same Windows
    platform as the client systems, unplug the printer's USB cable and
    then boot into that other partition and perform a local install of the
    printer drivers and software (you will be prompted to reconnect the
    USB cable during the software install process). If you are temporarily
    using another computer with the same platform as the clients, shut
    down your host computer now, then boot up the temporary computer and
    perform a full local install of the printer drivers and hardware. You
    must connect the printer to this computer during this step.

    3. Once you have completed and tested printer installation on the new
    partition/computer, verify that your PC is using the same computer
    name that you took note of in step 1. If the name is different, change
    it. (Do this in the Network control panel on Win9x, and in the System
    control panel on Win2000/XP.) Changing your computer name requires a
    restart.

    4. Share the printer on the network using the same printer share name
    you noted in step 1. If you do not see a sharing option on Win9x, you
    need to install the Microsoft File and Printer Sharing Service via the
    Network control panel.

    5. Go to your client computers now (the ones that weren't working
    before) and use the Add Printer Wizard to attach to the
    newly-installed printer. The drivers will automatically be downloaded
    onto your client system. When this is done, attempt to print something
    over the network. If it works, you're almost finished! Do not continue
    to step 6 until you've successfully printed something.

    6. Back at your printer, either reconnect the host computer you're
    planning to use (make sure you change the temporary system's computer
    name to something different before doing this) or boot into your
    desired operating system partition on the host PC. Make sure you're
    still sharing your printer and that the share name/computer name are
    the same as what your client systems are currently configured to use
    (they should be by now).

    7. Return to your client systems and print away!

    SOLUTION #2

    This solution doesn't require any extra partitions or computers, but
    it's not ideal because it requires you to use older drivers than those
    that came with your printer.

    1. On the client systems, use the Add Printer Wizard to browse to your
    new printer on the host PC.

    2. When the wizard asks you which driver to install, select the HP
    DeskJet 550C. These drivers ship with all versions of Windows and are
    compatible with many current HP printers, although they may not
    support all the features the newer printers support.

    3. Attempt to print something. If the drivers installed successfully
    and your host PC is properly sharing the printer, this should work
    now.

    Happy printing, folks!

    Josh Mayfield, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Josh Mayfield

    R-ton Guest

    Hello,

    I ordered a HP 1012 laserprinter,
    I tend to connect to a WIN98SE system,
    in a network with two WIN2000 computers.
    Should I expect the same problems... ?
    If yes, thank you for your advice already.

    R-ton

    R-ton, Apr 10, 2004

  3. Josh Mayfield

    dp Guest

    I found the easiest way to get the other computer to load the right hp
    drivers (for a psc2110) was to temporarily connect the printer directly
    to the computer. Then when you go to add the network printer the
    psc2110 (in my case) is already on your shortlist of printer types it
    already has drivers for.

    Another difference between 98 and xp that I found when trying to access
    shared printers from a linux computer is that XP requires a password
    from the client. Even if one was never assigned on the host, you have
    to send a password="", which is not the case for win98.

    The rep that told you you need a higher end printer for netowrking was
    probably thinking of their models that take an ethernet connection
    directly rather than being tied into a host computer.

    dp, Apr 10, 2004
  4. Josh Mayfield

    Ben Myers Guest

    Windows 2,000,000 is just like Windows XP in that it also requires passwords
    from other computers accessing its shared resources, whether printers or files.
    This tends to confuse people who ran computers on an older peer-to-peer network
    with Windows 95, 98, or ME. But it is easily solved with some work on each
    computer by someone with administrative procedures and requiring everyone to use
    a login with password... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 11, 2004
  5. Josh Mayfield

    Dick Ballard Guest

    In Windows XP, just enable "simple file sharing" and you will not need
    passwords on the network.

    Dick Ballard

    Dick Ballard, Apr 11, 2004
  6. That was actually the first thing I tried, and it did not work. The
    new HP printer did not show up in the list of known drivers, and I
    could even browse to Windows\Inf where the INF for the installed
    driver resided and Windows STILL did not recognize that it already had
    the driver it needed! I haven't examined the INF for the 1350, but I
    imagine it was intentionally designed so that Windows does not
    recognize it when you browse for known devices, forcing you to use
    their software (for local installs only).

    I'm kind of surprised that they got a Windows XP logo for this
    product, as I thought that all drivers for Windows XP are supposed to
    be INF-installable. The PSC 1350's drivers certainly are not, unless
    distributed over the network via the Add Printer Wizard.

    Josh Mayfield, Apr 15, 2004
  7. Josh Mayfield

    Dan H Guest

    Dan H, May 12, 2004