    I need to config some BIOS options or some other things? Would you like
    to give me some advice?
    It's very emergent, and I'll be online, Thank you in advance!

    Jason, Oct 17, 2006

  2. Jason

    John Navas Guest

    AFAIK the recovery CDs will restore the contents of the hard disk
    preload, but not the hidden protected area.

    John Navas, Oct 17, 2006

  3. Jason

    Jason Guest

    But the recovery program tells that it will format the hard disk,
    install xp pro, and all preinstalled applications, but nothing happends
    except what I said above.
    Maybe there is something wrong with my recovery CDs, but I think this
    possibility is very low, because my t60 is less 2 month old, and these
    CDs are used first, but this possibility cann't be exclusive.
    I think the most possible thing is that I need to config something for
    the BIOS, but I'm not sure.
    Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated!
    Thank you!

    Jason, Oct 17, 2006
  4. Jason

    JHEM Guest

    They restore everything, including the hidden partition, but only on a blank
    HD.

    If the HD contains the remnants of a previous installation, then the
    recovery CDs will attempt to "repair" the install.

    For the OP, wipe the HD in another machine by running FDISK and removing all
    partitions. Or BOOT to a CD containing drive utilities in the existing
    machine and FDISK the HD.

    JHEM, Oct 17, 2006
  5. Jason

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hmmm,
    I have T42s in the house. I have 7 CD R & R package which came with it.
    I wiped out HD on one laptop and installed W2K once and used CDs
    to restore everything back to the way it came when new. Had no trouble
    and took quite some time to run the process.

    Tony Hwang, Oct 17, 2006
  6. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Only on a blank disk? But the instruction of R&R package says that the
    data on the disk can be moved to another media during the recovery, so
    i am not sure if this's a necessary condition.
    Doesn't the recovery program give some information for repairing?
    I have formatted it using a partition tool with Debian linux.

    Thank you very much.

    Jason, Oct 17, 2006
  7. Jason

    sfink Guest

    boot device, restart the computer with the first recovery disk in place
    then follow the prompts, as I learned through frustration you cannot
    temporarily set the cd drive first through F12 but actually change it
    in Bios so cd is always first till you are done with the whole recovery
    process.

    Steve

    sfink, Oct 17, 2006
  8. Jason

    Jason Guest

    hi Steve,
    At first, I really booted it from CD by using F12 and it had the above
    errors, but later, I've changed the BIOS to let CD be the first boot
    device, and I still got the errors.

    Jason, Oct 18, 2006
  9. Jason

    Bill Morrow Guest

    wrong..
    the recovery CD set will recover "to factory" image..
    with the recovery partition and all..

    --

    this email would probably be better if i edited it before sending it, but

    Bill Morrow, Oct 23, 2006