    - Are their advantages to ordering a LGA 775 processor, as opposed to Socket
    478? (I can't see any..)

    Thanks..

    Caecina, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Caecina

    JK Guest

    Where did you see that?
    Probably not, judging how often Intel has been changing platforms lately.

    http://techny.com/articles.cfm?getarticle=606&go=0.53769656

    The important thing is to get a 64 bit processor. Many who buy a 32 bit
    processor in '04 will probably be upset about not buying a 64 bit one
    when they see great 64 bit software in '05.

    I suggest that you buy an Athlon 64 rather than an Intel processor. The
    Athlon 64 chips in addition to having a 64 bit mode, also have memory
    controller(s) on the cpu. This greatly enhances performance.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

    JK, Oct 3, 2004

  3. Caecina

    Judd Guest

    In your momma's crack.
    Of course, you would be an expert on this. LGA775 will support 4GHz+ you
    moron.
    Yeah, both pieces of 64-bit software will be dazzling. Both pacman and
    donkeykong will do you well at work.
    The memory controller doesn't support the latest memory standards. It thus
    has a poor upgrade path.

    Judd, Oct 3, 2004
  4. Caecina

    Judd Guest

    3.73/3.46 GHz Pentium EE. They also increase bus speed to 1GHz and support
    for DDR2-667. Should be a screamer.
    Wait for the 925XE so that you get the 1 GHz motherboard support which will
    be the standard by next year.
    Yeah, it's the latest socket so your upgrade path is much better.

    Judd, Oct 3, 2004
  5. Caecina

    Caecina Guest

    Wait for the 925XE so that you get the 1 GHz motherboard support which will
    Is that what's coming in November, and why the current generation processors
    are continually (rather quickly) dropping in price? It certainly makes sense to
    wait, then. I appreciate the information.

    Caecina, Oct 3, 2004
  6. Caecina

    JK Guest

    This article seems to indicate that up to about 5 ghz will be
    be supported on LGA 775. I missed that the first time I read it.
    Whether or not that specific motherboard will support it is uncertain.

    http://techny.com/articles.cfm?getarticle=606&go=0.53769656

    JK, Oct 3, 2004
  7. Caecina

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    The new developments on the horizon from Intel are being phased in
    increments continuously. Just back in August, Intel introduced two new
    chipsets (the 915- and 925-series) which supports the new DDR2 memory, and
    the new PCI-Express plugin cards. In November, it looks like Intel will
    introduce a new faster front-side bus (going from 800Mhz to 1024Mhz).

    Now how many of them are worth waiting for? I'd say the PCI-e is worth it
    for the next generation of video cards, although it doesn't show much speed
    improvement over existing AGP video cards. Also note that Nvidia and ATI are
    both expected to introduce a feature into their gaming video cards (called
    within Nvidia circles as SLI, i.e. Scan Line Interleaving; called something
    else by ATI). This is a feature that allows you to put two identical video
    cards into the system, and they will cooperate with one another to display
    the scene together. Ideally, this requires that you have two of the highest
    speed PCI-e slots known as the X16 slots on your system. I don't think any
    of the motherboards and chipsets currently being introduced for either Intel
    or AMD platforms have these dual-X16 PCI-e slots. These *will* be the
    highest performance 3D gaming platform features. The reason this will become
    popular is because both Intel and AMD platforms will support PCI-e very
    quickly. However, with PCI-e you not only have to see if the platform you
    buy supports PCI-e, but also whether it supports dual PCI-e X16 for the
    gaming.

    As for the DDR2 memory and the higher FSB speed coming out. I don't think
    they will be nearly as important, nor will they gain popularity quite as
    quickly. DDR2 memory is actually *slower* than the older DDR memory right
    now. They aren't expected to be much better for another two or three speed
    increments. DDR2 will only be supported by AMD platforms only after it's
    been shown that DDR2 has finally overtaken DDR for speed, so until then
    you'll be subsidizing DDR2 research by buying it for your Intel platform,
    and not getting much performance for it.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Oct 3, 2004
  8. Caecina

    Caecina Guest

    Basically, it's best to simply purchase a 925X chipset motherboard, and not
    concern yourself with the bus speed improvements until later; taking advantage
    of the lower prices on the 3.4's. It makes sense. This board will be capable of
    handling the higher bus speeds. Correct? If you keep waiting for this and that,
    you'll be waiting indefinitely. Is the Asus P5AD2 your best bet? Anyone have
    any experience with Gigabyte or Abit boards? I'm only intimately familar with
    Asus and Intel motherboards.

    This is the prospective computer:

    Processor: Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 550 3.4 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache
    Motherboard: ASUS "P5AD2 Premium" 925X LGA 775 Chipset Motherboard CPU
    Hard Drive: Seagate 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Video Card: BFG GeForce 6800GT (Overclocked) AGP8X 256MB
    Memory:
    ROM Drive:
    ROM Drive:
    Power Supply: Antec 550W Power Supply, 24-Pin, TRUE550 EPS12V
    Case: Thermaltake Black Highest Xaser III Super Tower
    Surge Protector: BELKIN The Isolator with IPF 8-Outlet Surge Protector

    How about a heatsink? Should I purchase one, or simply use the one that comes
    with the processor? How about thermal compounds? Arctic silver seems to be the
    popular choice.

    Any suggestions?

    Caecina, Oct 4, 2004
  9. Caecina

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Uh no, the 925X won't handle the 1066Mhz bus speed, I believe that's
    apparently the main distinguishing feature of the 925XE. 925X should only go
    upto 800Mhz.

    However, you are right, there is no use in waiting for the latest feature,
    because you will wait forever. Get what you need right now.

    And I don't really think you're taking much of a chance going with the
    slower bus speed, as I seriously doubt that Intel will have much higher
    speed processors in a year's time. Since this time last year, Intel has gone
    up a grand total of only 400Mhz (i.e. 3.0Ghz to 3.4Ghz). The 3.6Ghz
    processors are rare as hen's teeth; Intel might "announce" a 4.0Ghz
    processor by next year, but it will be rarer than the 3.6Ghz are currently.
    I think Intel's sweet spot is between 2.8Ghz and 3.4Ghz for the time being.
    By this time next year, you might find that your only real upgrade path for
    the 3.4Ghz/800Mhz P4 would be to a 3.4Ghz/1066Mhz P4 -- basically you
    upgrade to the same processor!

    The reason for this is that Intel is having trouble controlling the heat
    output of its latest P4 processors, previously codenamed Prescott. By
    contrast, AMD Athlon 64 is already officially at 3800+, and 4000+ is already
    unofficially available.
    I don't give recommendations on any motherboards. Basically they all suck!
    Don't worry about brandnames, just buy based on featureset and price.
    Just use the supplied heatsink and thermal tape that comes with the
    processor (if one comes with it). The only function of the thermal
    compound/thermal tape is to create an airtight seal between heatsink and the
    processor, and nothing else. You won't need any aftermarket thermal compound
    until you decide to remove the heatsink for whatever reason.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Oct 4, 2004
  10. Caecina

    Caecina Guest

    I believe that's
    Is their an official launch date for this?

    DDR2 + 925XE = intended for eachother? Will a 925XE chipset be more suitable
    for DDR2 memory?

    Caecina, Oct 5, 2004
  11. Caecina

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    No, DDR2 was intended for 925X not XE. I doubt that it will be more or less
    suitable for DDR2 memory.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Oct 5, 2004
  12. Caecina

    Caecina Guest

    No, DDR2 was intended for 925X not XE. I doubt that it will be more or less
    It'd be nice if Intel had an official launch date for the 925XE chipset.
    Lately, it seems they've hit a wall with the Pentium 4.

    Caecina, Oct 6, 2004
  13. Caecina

    Judd Guest

    DDR2-667 is much faster than DDR-400. That's a fact. This is why they are
    moving to DDR2... much higher bandwidth potential. By the way, they are
    already at DDR2-800.

    Judd, Oct 7, 2004
  14. Caecina

    Judd Guest

    I've heard November 6th and it's definitely worth waiting for. Unofficial
    benchmarks have shown a marked improvement with 1GHz bus and DDR2-667.
    Unless you run little benchmarks that fit within the cache, you would
    definitely see quite the speed jump. It's a 20% jump just in bandwidth
    alone. Also, the new chips are supposed to have 2 MB L2 caches. We shall
    see, but this sounds like a significant performance boost. Of course, not
    all benchmarks will show it, but it would be a tremendous boost in overall
    system efficiency and performance.

    Judd, Oct 7, 2004
  15. Caecina

    Caecina Guest

    I've heard November 6th and it's definitely worth waiting for. Unofficial
    Will it be widely available? Or, will it be like the 3.6 GHz and current 2MB
    cache? (rare, and expensive) Are the new (1066) bus speeds going to accompany
    only 3.6 GHz and up?

    Caecina, Oct 9, 2004
  16. Caecina

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Don't see any listings of DDR2-800 on Pricewatch yet. But you can see some
    PC4200 DDR-533 for sale.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Oct 10, 2004