    fillers for the PC card slots. I was very happy with the experience and will
    recommend DFS as a source of computers to my friends.
    Howard

    Howard Nelson, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Howard Nelson

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    You should not have had to contact service within 3 months of the "premium
    service contract" ...

    NuTCrAcKeR, Aug 10, 2005

  3. Howard Nelson

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    You lousy Dellbot, you. ;->

    Glad to finally see a post representing the majority experience with Dell.

    Ted Zieglar, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Howard Nelson

    BigJim Guest

    there is not as many complaints as you think, of the thousands computers
    that Dell
    sells every month there is about 2 percent of complaints.

    BigJim, Aug 10, 2005
  5. While that sounds good and may true, what is the source for the 2%?

    Jupiter Jones, Aug 10, 2005
  6. Howard Nelson

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'd be shocked if the number was 2%. Realistically that is too high.
    Assume the sell a million a month. 2% would be 20,000 complaints. This
    newsgroup would be unreadable.

    I'd like to know the source too.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 10, 2005
  7. Howard Nelson

    Leythos Guest

    Not it wouldn't as most computer users buying a new computer have no
    clue that Usenet exists. Not only that, but if it was really 2%, chances
    are that they can't get on the Internet anyway :)

    Leythos, Aug 10, 2005
  8. Howard Nelson

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    I would modify that statement somewhat to say "...most computer users buying
    a new computer have no clue" period. The smart ones (the majority)
    appreciate that they have a lot to learn, and spend the time to do so. The
    not-so-smart ones screw up their systems in no time and then blame the
    manufacturer, the software, the support...anyone but themselves.

    Ted Zieglar, Aug 10, 2005
  9. Howard Nelson

    Tom Scales Guest

    Sorry, but the math still doesn't work. 20,000 a month would mean there are
    over 1,000,000 from the last four years. Let's say just 5% can get online
    and get here, then there would be 50,000 angry people here.

    Tom Scales, Aug 10, 2005
  10. Howard Nelson

    Leythos Guest

    I don't think that 2% of the people that have Usenet access even know
    about it - most people only know the Internet as the Web and nothing
    else. In the last 20 years I've talked with maybe 10 people that know
    about Usenet before I talked to them.

    What you have to consider is that less than 10% of the people purchasing
    computers for home/small office use have any realization about security
    or patches or anything related to the maintenance of their systems. When
    you consider the people that only purchase the cheap (sub $1000)
    machines, that is probably closer to 1%.

    I blame the ISP's and the computer vendors/sellers for not educating the
    users, but in this day of order-online without human interaction there
    is little chance to educate the buyer.

    Leythos, Aug 10, 2005
  11. Howard Nelson

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    I disagree that it is the role of the ISP to educate users as to how to use
    thier computers, or the internet.

    Think about it this way ... if someone buys a new $300 cordless phone with
    every wiz-bang feature there is, and they have problems ... based on your
    statement, it would be the phone company's fault because they didnt educate
    the consumer of thier service about how to use thier phone system. GTFOH
    !!!!

    Your statement is complete crap

    NuTCrAcKeR, Aug 11, 2005
  12. Howard Nelson

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Hey........... you can't just join the club.... Being a DellBot required a
    consistent and unwavering support for Dell regardless of the situation....
    Posting one positive comment just makes you a *potential* candidate.......

    :) :)

    Hank Arnold, Aug 11, 2005
  13. Howard Nelson

    Tom Scales Guest

    And the hazing is very, very tough.

    Tom Scales, Aug 11, 2005
  14. He's not a Dellbot - I'm one & he doesn't come to the meetings.

    Sparky Spartacus, Aug 11, 2005
  15. Where do you get your numbers from, other than thin air?

    Sparky Spartacus, Aug 11, 2005
  16. Howard Nelson

    Leythos Guest

    Your comprehension ability is what's total crap. A user with a cordless
    phone is not going to get their entire identity stolen, not going to
    impact the rest of the Internet community, not going to infect other
    computers, not going to get their IPS black listed, etc....

    If ISP's were to make a simple statement of "Connecting your computer
    directly to the Internet without some form of barrier protection device,
    or a quality soft-firewall is dangerous to your personal information
    safety and may cause your computer/network to become compromised in less
    than 10 minutes" then we would have a LOT of people asking about
    securing their systems. If the computers came with the same warning on
    the box in large RED print, it would also help.

    Leythos, Aug 11, 2005
  17. Howard Nelson

    Leythos Guest

    I get them from my experience over the last 2 years with more than 1000
    nodes in various areas of the country I live in. I also based the
    numbers on reports from others in the security community that have
    similar experiences with those ranges/classes of systems/users. On the
    Usenet side, I would have to say that less than 2% of the people using
    Internet access, that we've talked with, have any idea that Usenet
    exists at all.

    Leythos, Aug 11, 2005
  18. Howard Nelson

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    ah, the youthful exhuberance of an inexperienced know-it-all.

    All the old timers were there once, dont feel bad.

    NuTCrAcKeR, Aug 11, 2005
  19. Howard Nelson

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    I still disagree that its the responsibility of the ISP. Every new computer
    made in the last couple years comes with a manual that contains such
    warnings. But most people dont read the manuals, and thats not the ISP's
    fault. A good sales person (of these new systems to first time, or
    inexperienced buyers) would impart such warnings as well. Whether the buyer
    will heed them or not is up to them.

    I believe the responsibililty falls squarely on the consumer and no where
    else.

    NuTCrAcKeR, Aug 11, 2005
  20. Howard Nelson

    Leythos Guest

    Your assumption is incorrect, I only used the last 2 years data as the
    demographics change every couple years. I've been on Usenet since the
    early 80's, and designing computer systems since the mid 70's.
    I see your lack of experience showing here - you just assumed that my
    statement of 2 years of data indicated that I only have two years of
    experience - bad assumption. It would not be proper to use more than a
    sample of 2 years as the influx of users and their exposure to the net
    increases in orders of magnitude about every 2 years (along with the
    technology advances).

    Leythos, Aug 11, 2005