Some Kudos for Dell

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Howard Nelson, Aug 10, 2005.

  1. Howard Nelson

    Leythos Guest

    Duh, a home user with 253 computer would be delighted to have DHCP
    provide the basic NAT functions without him having to purchase any
    third-party appliance. Not to mention the additional security benefit at
    no cost to the user or the ISP.

    The LAN side would be DHCP, the WAN side doesn't matter as most people
    get a DHCP address anyway - reservations could do the static IP if
    requested.
    I think you misunderstand, the large ISP's don't license anything, they
    provide the "Free" version and the AV vendor hopes the exposure leads to
    full product sales - it's a win/win for the ISP/AV Vendor.
    BS, the ISP's modems almost all support NAT, and that doesn't change
    anything or cause any increase in MTBF.
    No, some people don't send legitimate attachments with those extensions,
    they are stupid if they do. Anyone with any common sense will rename the
    file, will zip it, will change it as any quality email scanner will
    remove it. I've seen stupid support companies send DLL's and EXE files
    to clients, and they are always rejected, the same should be expected to
    anyone - any quality shop will not send executable files to anyone, only
    a idiot does that.
    But NAT and Proper AV + Email scanning costs nothing for most ISP and
    clients.
    Sorry, but notices on a regular basis are also passive and ignored.
    Active is the ISP using NAT by default.
    You can change the habits of the masses they are happy to remain
    ignorant - you have to provide them with a painless method that they
    don't have to understand or they won't use it.
    If you think that the ISP's actually buy a license you've missed the
    boat - they give users the "Free" / "Personal" version and it is the
    exposure to the product that the vendor is hoping will get them sales.
    Any ISP that actually licenses software for their clients is missing the
    boat and doesn't understand sales/marketing.
    Which supports my stating that ISP's should enable the NAT function on
    their modems by default and only provide non-nat mode to those that know
    enough to ask for it.
    Any my statement is proven, if you do NAT, since D/U users only need
    minimal services, you protect your network and the Net at the same time.

    Leythos, Aug 14, 2005

  2. You've never really worked at an ISP have you?

    KC

    Kevin Childers, Aug 19, 2005

  3. Howard Nelson

    Notan Guest

    Kevin, PLEASE! Especially if your just going to post a one-liner,
    please learn to snip all the mixed posts before you. Thanks!

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 19, 2005
  4. Sorry about that chief, I missed it by |---| that much...

    KC

    Kevin Childers, Aug 19, 2005
  5. Howard Nelson

    WSZsr Guest

    That's why top posting is better!

    WSZsr, Aug 19, 2005
  6. Howard Nelson

    Notan Guest

    Actally, |----| that much, but who's counting! <g>

    Thanks!

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 19, 2005
  7. Howard Nelson

    Notan Guest

    And, "Actally" was supposed to be "Actually."

    Jeez, between the two of us! <g>

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 19, 2005
  8. Howard Nelson

    Leythos Guest

    [snipped a bunch of lines]
    Apparently more than you - as I know to snip lines and don't make a one
    line reply without snipping.

    I've done work for providers and have two friends that own small (under
    10,000 subscribers) ISP groups - why?

    Leythos, Aug 19, 2005
  9. I think this is a good place to end that sentence.

    ;)

    Sparky Spartacus, Aug 20, 2005
  10. Howard Nelson

    Tom Scales Guest

    Actually, I believe I wrote it and was quite serious. In the past I
    supported a large number of blind computer users. Think about all the
    answers we have seen here. Now think about if you had to answer the
    question -- but none of the reply could involve the mouse.

    It's very hard.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 20, 2005
  11. Howard Nelson

    Leythos Guest

    [snip]
    Tom, I appreciate your situation, but, as I read braille too, had a
    teacher that was a good family friend that was blind, and work with the
    elderly that have many different levels of sight, I stand by the bottom
    posting.

    Reading Usenet is no different than the News, than a Book, etc...

    Leythos, Aug 20, 2005
  12. Howard Nelson

    Notan Guest

    Not being blind, myself, I can't give any factual information,
    just opinion...

    It would seem that someone, with any type of visual impairment,
    would first need to read the question before reading the response.
    Doesn't this lend itself to bottom posting, just as it would with
    a non impaired reader?

    Who reads from top to bottom?

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 20, 2005
  13. Howard Nelson

    Tom Scales Guest

    Which screen readers do you have experience with? I'm shocked that you
    believe your statements, as they clearly do not reflect the opinions of the
    blind community.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 20, 2005
  14. Howard Nelson

    Tom Scales Guest

    Do you know how slow screen readers are? Reading (listening) to an average
    post would take FOREVER if you had to listen to the whole thing. Top
    posting let's you listen to the post, then the most recent context.

    Just like it is with reading. No scrolling -- just reading.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 20, 2005
  15. Howard Nelson

    Notan Guest

    That last question should have read, "Who reads from bottom to top?"

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 20, 2005
  16. Howard Nelson

    Notan Guest

    If I'm listing to a question and answer session, and the first thing
    said (the answer) is "red," with the second thing (the question) being,
    "What color is blood?", isn't this confusing?

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 20, 2005
  17. Howard Nelson

    Leythos Guest

    I don't have to reflect the "Opinions" of any community. What I say is
    based on my experience with Usenet, with people of all different types,
    and my understanding that not all threads are entered by all users at
    the start. Many threads are entered in many places, top posting, without
    all the prior following of a thread, means that the user reads an answer
    BEFORE the question or relative material. In addition, many servers
    expire articles at different rates, which means that at any point the
    prior articles MAY not be there.

    Why do we have to change usenet Norms, and reading norms, to accommodate
    a very small number of users? Sure, it's harder for them, sure it
    requires a lot more effort, but, Usenet was here way before screen
    readers and even before Microsoft found the net.

    I'm not unsympathetic, as we have "visually" impaired users, but, I'm
    not about to change the world either.

    How does a blind person find their way to a specific location in any
    thread - or any medial where there could be any number of un-bookmarked
    entry points - they read from top down.

    Leythos, Aug 20, 2005
  18. Howard Nelson

    Leythos Guest

    So, as you and I both know, you've found a weakness in screen readers.
    they were not designed with Usenet in mind - just look at how the read a
    web page with 12 areas of content - not designed for that either.

    If a voice Usenet client were developed, because there was a real need,
    it would automatically allow the user to read unquoted text first (or to
    read top down if they wanted). As it is, you're asking us to change the
    way that Usenet has been for more than 2 decades to accommodate
    something that isn't designed to work with Usenet.

    Thats like asking me to make aisles in my office 36" wide when there is
    no elevator and no wheel-chair access to the second floor where we have
    space.

    It's not fair, but there are many things that many people can't do or
    use as efficiently as perfectly-healthy people, and it's not going to
    change, but it's not fair to try and change an entire structure when a
    technological solution could be made to resolve their issues.

    Leythos, Aug 20, 2005
  19. Howard Nelson

    Tom Scales Guest

    You're talking in theory. Go to www.hj.com. Download the trial to JAWS and
    install it.

    Spend the next week with a blindfold on trying to use your computer (and
    newgroups).

    Then come back with your theory.

    Tom Scales, Aug 20, 2005
  20. Howard Nelson

    Notan Guest

    What's good for a physically challenged person isn't necessarily good
    for a non physically callenged person, and vice versa.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 20, 2005