    anyway. If you can keep the program files, OS, and swap file on the
    same/first partition and defraged you see the best results(from a single
    drive or array anyway).

    spr, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Boris Easten

    Frobinrobin Guest

    Hi,

    If its speed you want, use three drives in RAID 0 (which I have) it
    will increase the point of failure but your speed will increase nicely.
    I currently get 140MB/s average read and 370MB/s burst speed! (nice
    huh) thats using 3 x 80GB Hitachi sata2 drives. Incidentally 2 drives
    works out at about 100MB/s avg and 320MB/s burst.
    If you are worried about failure (and money isnt that big an issue) you
    could always get an XFX revo Sata controller card which does RAID 3,
    its very similiar to raid 5 and requires 3 disks but doesnt lose
    performance when you lose one drive (well that's what XFX reckon
    anyway) check out www.xfxforce.com and search for revo. one thing I do
    know about the revo card is that you cannot have two different arrays
    on it (for some stupid reason?)

    Frobinrobin, Jan 6, 2006

  3. Boris Easten

    VanShania Guest

    what kind of motherboard do you have that lets you do 3drives in raid 0?

    VanShania, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Boris Easten

    Frobinrobin Guest

    Van Shania .. most 'decent' mobos allow at least 4 sata drives in raid
    0/1/0+1... however i have a dfi lanparty nf4 sli-d.

    Frobinrobin, Jan 9, 2006
  5. Boris Easten

    Erik Harris Guest

    nForce4 boards will technically let you "fully" take advantage of 6 drives in
    a single RAID-0/1/01 array - 4 SATA drives and 2 PATA drives (using more than
    one drive per PATA channel would kill performance and defeat the purpose, so
    while you _could_ create an 8-drive array, you'd not "fully" take advantage
    of the performance benefits of striping, and you'd cripple the performance
    with mirroring). The Intel version of the nForce4 SLI even adds RAID-5 to
    the list of options (why they didn't include it on the AMD version, I don't
    know).

    Erik Harris http://www.eHarrisHome.com
    [email protected]$harrishom$.com - replace each dollar sign with an e
    Chinese-Indonesian Martial Arts Club http://www.kungfu-silat.com

    Erik Harris, Feb 1, 2006