Some questions about the increased memory

Discussion in 'Dell' started by MB_, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Ok, now that I've upgraded from 256 MB to 512 MB some more elementary
    questions.

    1) How will I see the improvement? I got it because from time to time my
    disk drive starts and then it slows everything down. I suspect it is due to
    indexing and other housekeeping items. I use Ad-Aware and anti-virus s-ware,
    so as I said I think it is due to some other tasks. I'm assuming the extra
    memory will reduce the need for swap files. But what other improvement
    should I see (I don't use heavy media stuff).

    2) I have a fairly large WORKS spreadsheet. As it got larger, when I copy
    cells, I always get the message to the effect that due to limited memory I
    cannot use the Undo command for that process. That's no problem since I can
    undo it anyway without using that command. I thought maybe the added memory
    might eliminate that message. It does not. Is it just that WORKS itself can
    only access a certain amount of memory? I use WORKS 4.5.

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 4, 2005

  2. MB_

    Tom Scales Guest

    Mel,

    The improvements will likely be modest. For 1), I'd suggest you right click
    your C: drive in My Computer and uncheck the box that allows the Indexing of
    the hard drive for fast searching. The overhead of keeping that index
    current is huge compared to the rare times you do a file search. I ALWAYS
    turn it off. That should really help.

    As for 2), I don't know Works. Is that version pretty current? If not, it
    may not be optimized for XP and may be limiting itself to what would work in
    Windows 98/Me. Even so, I'm a little surprised the memory didn't fix the
    problem.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 4, 2005

  3. MB_

    Kevin M Guest

    Tom,
    When you uncheck the box for indexing, do you allow it to include the
    subdirectories as well?

    Kevin M, Sep 4, 2005
  4. MB_

    Kevin M Guest

    Also, what does this feature actually do?

    Thanks

    Kevin M, Sep 4, 2005
  5. An excellent alternative to Indexing Service is slocate; it's part of
    almost every linux distro and way faster than anything else I've used.
    On Windows it's available in Cygwin; just run updatedb every so often
    and it will write everything to a database. When you want to find
    $something, type locate $something; it will show all instances (up to
    the last time you ran updatedb) and keep the database in memory
    temporarily so that any other searches will be almost instantaneous.

    Nicholas Andrade, Sep 4, 2005
  6. MB_

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, Sep 4, 2005
  7. MB_

    Ben Myers Guest

    The Indexing service works on a drive-by-drive basis, including all
    subdirectories. It maintains a file used to search and find information
    quickly. But, like Internet Explorer file caching and history files, it has the
    unintended consequence of slowing down overall system performance rather than
    speeding it up. I'm sure that the Microsoft apologists can cite benchmark after
    benchmark and quote satisfied customers as to its wonders. But, I find it
    pretty useless... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 4, 2005
  8. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Tom:

    Actually, that is an older version of Works (for Windows 95!!), but it is
    actually the best version .

    I do have Works 7.0, but I don't use it. However, I just tried it with the
    file and got the same message.

    If I save the spreadsheet in Exel format, and use it with my generic Open
    Office, there is no such message (but it might be that it uses less memory
    to begin with or that Works will just not access that extra memory0. I'm
    posting this in the Works group; I'll see what they say.

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 4, 2005
  9. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Ben:

    ASSUMING that's what's causing the problem (sudden disk activity that lasts
    for 3-4 minutes coupled with delays), then it IS a MAJOR pain especially
    considering its limited benefits.

    I'm going to see what happens with the new memory, but I suspect that will
    not reduce the problem and then I'll just follow Tom's suggestion.

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 4, 2005
  10. MB_

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes. Absolutely.

    Tom Scales, Sep 5, 2005
  11. MB_

    Tom Scales Guest

    In theory it caches information about searches that you might do in the
    futures. Unfortunately, it's really, really slow and intensive.

    Tom Scales, Sep 5, 2005
  12. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Yeah, Tom. So, why have it on. This means every day things slow up in order
    to save me a few seconds on the few times I do a search. Right??

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 5, 2005
  13. MB_

    Kevin M Guest

    Well, I've tried it and things seem to be a little bit faster. I am running
    4 hard drives and disabled the indexing service on all drives. I'm not sure
    if having this service on that many drives slows performance down even more?

    Kevin M, Sep 5, 2005
  14. MB_

    Tom Scales Guest

    That's why I turn it off!

    Tom Scales, Sep 5, 2005
  15. MB_

    Tom Scales Guest

    It seems to be a factor of the number of files, regardless of the number of
    drives. That's just a feeling.

    Tom Scales, Sep 5, 2005
  16. MB_

    Hank Arnold Guest

    "memory" messages can also be triggered by disk space problems..

    Hank Arnold, Sep 5, 2005
  17. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    I understand. But I have PLENTY of disk space.

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 5, 2005
  18. Out of curiousity, why are you sticking with Works when obviously you
    have OpenOffice and it works (excuse the pun).

    Nicholas Andrade, Sep 5, 2005
  19. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Nick:

    Because I used Works for many years and know it well. I haven't had any
    trouble with it at all except for that one insignificant item in that one
    spreadsheet.

    However, I now use WORD more than Works as a word processor because it has
    so many more features. But, for what I do, Works does work!

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 6, 2005