    4) Not a mobo question but an XP one. Will XP give me any hassles if all of
    a sudden I have a different bios and chip?

    Thanks!

    Home Mail, Jul 27, 2004

  2. : 1) What is the highest speed chip I can run on the k7s5a motherboard?

    Probably the barton 2500+ mobile, because it is unlocked so you use the
    266 mhz bus, even though it is a 333 mhz part.

    : 2) My motherboard manual doesn't tell me whether my k7s5a board is a 1.0 or
    : a 1.x/3.x. How do I figure out which one it is so I can download the latest
    : bios for it.

    You have to actually look at the motherboard. I think it is somewhere
    between the PCI slots, but I could be wrong.

    : 3) I've never done a bios upgrade before. Just wondering about peoples
    : opinions on the procedures. Is it fairly simple? What are the things that
    : can go wrong?

    hope the power does not go out. make sure it is the right bios for your
    MB. I know one of the OCing bioses that use a CD image, which is as
    simple as you can get if you know how to burn an iso. read all the readme
    files, and you should be ok.

    : 4) Not a mobo question but an XP one. Will XP give me any hassles if all of
    : a sudden I have a different bios and chip?

    Maybe. if you have SP1 installed, it should be less of a problem, because
    they slacked off on the retarded copy protection the original had. You
    might have to reinstall the OS though, but in all likelyhood, it should
    jsut work.

    Brian Campbell, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Home Mail

    Dekaritae Guest

    I didn't have any problems with either of the boxed or SP1 versions of
    Windows XP when I upgraded my core from a Duron 700 to an AMD 1500+;
    Windows booted without errors. Same for when I recently flashed my BIOS
    through several revisions.

    Flashing your BIOS will reset all your CMOS data back to factory default
    settings. If you have an onboard network port, modem or sound card that
    you aren't using an have disabled, this will re-enable it again and
    Windows will attempt to re-install it. (unless you turn it off in the
    BIOS before letting Windows load).

    What can happen then (and did to me) is that Windows might run out of
    IRQs and disable a device due to that lack. But this is easily fixed by
    disabling the onboard devices again in your BIOS.

    Dekaritae, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Home Mail

    flipper Guest

    The mobile boots with the 'low power' multiplier and since the K7S5A
    has no means to set the multiplier you'll be stuck with a 1 gig, or
    so, (I forget the exact number, off hand) processor.

    Unless someone knows of a software multiplier setter for the mobiles.

    flipper, Jul 30, 2004
  5. Home Mail

    flipper Guest

    I can now answer my own 'unless'. There IS a software program for
    setting the mobile multiplier: CPU MSR.

    The main page is here:

    http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/CPUMSR_main.htm

    It is said to work with the SIS chipset and there is also a means to
    'convert' desktop processors to a 'mobile'... shown here:

    http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Tweaks.htm

    and here:

    http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier/AXP_Multiplier.htm

    flipper, Jul 31, 2004
  6. Home Mail

    Mark T Guest

    I thought it was the 2600+ 266fsb thoroughbred. I know they're not available
    generally, but they are consistently on ebay for about $80.

    Mark T, Sep 3, 2004